Thread: Long-bed Camper in a Short-Bed Truck (with support mods)?

Question Long-bed Camper in a Short-Bed Truck (with support mods)?

Anybody ever mount a camper that was designed for a long-bed (8-ft) truck onto a short-bed (6.5-ft) pick-up?

Not one of the super-heavy campers, with slide-outs, etc. Just a fairly lightweight long-bed model.

My truck is a Chevy 2500HD crew-cab with an extra leaf spring and diesel motor, but, it only has a short bed.

Plan to replace the tailgate cables with HD solid steel support bars, and add air-bags to the suspension, too.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I've hauled my Alaskan 8' camper in my Ram shortbed for years, goes right to the end of the tailgate. I didn't replace the tailgate cables but I did add air bags. I made a step that goes into my receiver hitch to aide getting in and out when I'm not hauling a trailer.

You should have a data plate - maybe on the glove box door - that tells you the load capacity of your truck. Be sure you're not overloading it, weight-wise. Also, be aware that installing air bags does not increase your load capacity; they just help level the truck after loading.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Measure the width of the camper that fit inside the truck bed to make sure it is not to wide.

Some follow up questions (NOT specifically related to short -vs- long bed campers):
    I plan to keep the camper mounted on my truck most of the time. Probably only dismounting it twice per year.
    What are the Pros & Cons, need-to-have -vs- nice-to-have, complex -vs- simple, etc, for the following equipment:

Torklift -vs- Happy Jack tie-downs?

Fast-Guns?

Electric -vs- manual jack-stands?

Rubber mat -vs- blue-board underneath?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Campers usually have a "center or balance". Your truck owners manual should also have a load center. While others have done what you are trying to do, not having the load properly balanced in the truck could cause driving issues.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Campers usually have a "center or balance". Your truck owners manual should also have a load center. While others have done what you are trying to do, not having the load properly balanced in the truck could cause driving issues.
    sounds like a good excuse for a 'beer gut'...I'm balancing out my camper...

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Some follow up questions (NOT specifically related to short -vs- long bed campers):
    I plan to keep the camper mounted on my truck most of the time. Probably only dismounting it twice per year.
    What are the Pros & Cons, need-to-have -vs- nice-to-have, complex -vs- simple, etc, for the following equipment:
    Torklift -vs- Happy Jack tie-downs? Take your pick. I chose HappiJac tie down brackets for the better tie down angles to prevent movement, access to fuel door, ground clearance, and corrosion resistance from not being under the truck. 5 years on a '12 GMC, no bent bumper or box as some will have you believe.

Fast-Guns? I also use Fast Guns with my HappiJac's, great corrosion resistance, easy to use, and can be locked on. HappiJac now makes a similar tie down at a fraction of the price.

Electric -vs- manual jack-stands? Electric with wireless remote all the way! Makes loading/unloading so much faster and easier when doing it with one person. Also makes stabilizing the camper easier.

Rubber mat -vs- blue-board underneath? Rubber mat for sure, even if you use blue board to raise for cab clearance. A rubber mat helps prevent camper movement. Blue board can be used to gain height or added insulation if needed, but can raise the camper to high depending on truck/camper combo.

Torklifts, fast guns, electric jacks, and rubber mats. That’s what I used for my 9 1/2’, 3,000 lb., fiberglass camper w/slideout dinning room in a 1 ton, short bed, Dodge/Cummins. It worked just fine but you’ll definitely want to get the air bags installed and it’s also a good idea to run 10 ply (load range E), tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk