Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Draw Tag supplement info

That seems pretty clear, but in following the various threads in the forum, it appears one forum member took a Tier I caribou a few days into the opener, another caribou in the 40-mile range, and a moose in Unit 14C. Does the State cross check the applications to void/prevent an applicant from receiving any other caribou/moose permits if someone is issued a Tier I permit? It appears that in this person's case (if his posts are accurate), there is no such mechanism in place.
    I've always understood that there is such a mechanism, but a call to F&G might be necessary to confirm.

In the case you cite, is it possible that the person in question was proxy hunting one of those tags? Or accompanying another hunter who actually pulled the trigger? Just thinking of possibilities here, as I don't know the specifics of what what shared in those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Just want to make sure I'm interpreting the Tier I Unit 13 caribou hunt restrictions properly. The instructions state: • If your household applies for a Unit 13 Tier I caribou permit, your household WILL receive a permit. • No member of the household will be eligible to apply for or receive any other state caribou Drawing/Registration permits or general season caribou harvest tickets. • No member of the household may hunt caribou outside of Unit 13. • No member of the household will be eligible to apply for or receive any moose permits outside of Unit 13. • No member of the household may hunt moose outside of Unit 13. • Any member of the household may harvest the caribou. That seems pretty clear, but in following the various threads in the forum, it appears one forum member took a Tier I caribou a few days into the opener, another caribou in the 40-mile range, and a moose in Unit 14C. Does the State cross check the applications to void/prevent an applicant from receiving any other caribou/moose permits if someone is issued a Tier I permit? It appears that in this person's case (if his posts are accurate), there is no such mechanism in place.
    A trooper generally goes in a cross references those tags at the end of the year around February to March time frame. I know they cross reference the state and federal tags. There is no system so they have to do it manually. If it was his name on all the permits there is a good chance he will get caught. Obviously they can't get everyone so maybe he'll get lucky.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Not sure which poster you are referencing, but is it possible he did a proxy for the Unit 13 for somebody not in his household?

I suppose so, but no indication of proxy in his claim of 2 caribou and 1 moose for the season. I'm not implying any wrongdoing on his part -- it just doesn't make sense given the various claims. I'm just wanting to make sure I understand the system accurately before I put in for something inappropriately and waste money (or worse, get jacked up for applying for a hunt I'm ineligible for).

I suppose so, but no indication of proxy in his claim of 2 caribou and 1 moose for the season. I'm not implying any wrongdoing on his part.
    You could always pm him. He'll either answer you with info you're looking for. Or tell you to pound sand, or ignore you all together, in which case I think you'll know your answer.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wasilla, Ak and S. Korea until retirement in 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Not sure which poster you are referencing, but is it possible he did a proxy for the Unit 13 for somebody not in his household?
    This is from the supplement

If you proxy hunt for Unit 13 Tier I caribou, you and your entire household cannot hunt moose or caribou outside of Unit 13 for the regulatory year.

For households with members that have already hunted moose or caribou outside of Unit 13, no member of the household may proxy hunt Unit 13 Tier I caribou for the regulatory year.

I suppose so, but no indication of proxy in his claim of 2 caribou and 1 moose for the season. I'm not implying any wrongdoing on his part -- it just doesn't make sense given the various claims. I'm just wanting to make sure I understand the system accurately before I put in for something inappropriately and waste money (or worse, get jacked up for applying for a hunt I'm ineligible for).

I know who you are talking about as well and it does raise red flags. His wife had a tag for unit 13 they were hunting on aug 14th. The draw tag doesn’t start until the 20th of August. So they had to had a tier tag which has a start date of 10 August.

Just want to make sure I'm interpreting the Tier I Unit 13 caribou hunt restrictions properly. The instructions state: • If your household applies for a Unit 13 Tier I caribou permit, your household WILL receive a permit. • No member of the household will be eligible to apply for or receive any other state caribou Drawing/Registration permits or general season caribou harvest tickets. • No member of the household may hunt caribou outside of Unit 13. • No member of the household will be eligible to apply for or receive any moose permits outside of Unit 13. • No member of the household may hunt moose outside of Unit 13. • Any member of the household may harvest the caribou. That seems pretty clear, but in following the various threads in the forum, it appears one forum member took a Tier I caribou a few days into the opener, another caribou in the 40-mile range, and a moose in Unit 14C. Does the State cross check the applications to void/prevent an applicant from receiving any other caribou/moose permits if someone is issued a Tier I permit? It appears that in this person's case (if his posts are accurate), there is no such mechanism in place.
    I believe you are interpreting the rules correctly. If they did what you explained, then they were in the wrong. Don't plan on being able to do that.

Are you sure it was a Tier I caribou tag they filled? There are other caribou permits out there for unit 13, including the community harvest option, the federal subsistence tags, and the drawing permits. Sounds like it was before the draw hunt opened up, but I think the community harvest and federal hunts are open then. I don't know what restrictions those hunt may have though.

I don't think a federal caribou wouldn't count against a state bag limit. Of course one would have to be a qualified federal subsistence user to harvest a federal caribou, but that doesn't exclude anyone from the draw. (I think).

If you are a resident of anchorage, the valley you are not getting federal tags. If you are resident of Glennallen ie coppercenter then you are getting federal tags. Also the fella mentioned several times he’s hoping the state issues another permit like they did last yr. for unit 13 caribou and only the tier hunters got that extra tag. Anyhow enough of playing state trooper.

Yeah, I think you should just PM the person you're talking about, rather than awkwardly and not so discreetly calling them out. This seems like you're sitting on the opposite side of a grade school classroom passing notes.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I bet the guy had a step-daughter who has a tier 1 tag under her biological dad and brother's family. This guy probably drew a JBER moose tag himself and assists his step-daughters hunt. I could be wrong but this would be my guess. lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234