Thread: Mods for my Wooldridge

Default Mods for my Wooldridge

Now that she's tucked away for the winter, I'm planning the mods I want to accomplish before next season.

Stomp Plate
    Kicker mount
    Downrigger mounts
    Bowsprit ladder
    "Roof rack" for shrimp pots...maybe

I would like suggestions on stuff others have done as well as a good welder preferably in the valley that would do me right.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    Now that she's tucked away for the winter, I'm planning the mods I want to accomplish before next season.

Stomp Plate
    Kicker mount
    Downrigger mounts
    Bowsprit ladder

I would like suggestions on stuff others have done as well as a good welder preferably in the valley that would do me right.

Thanks!
    An inboard jet without a stomp grate is not fun especially in the ocean, Seward isn't bad, PWS it is mandatory IMO.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    An inboard jet without a stomp grate is not fun especially in the ocean, Seward isn't bad, PWS it is mandatory IMO.
    I've stood on the step and thought about cleaning the grate out with my rake in PWS and decided no thanks!

I've stood on the step and thought about cleaning the grate out with my rake in PWS and decided no thanks!
    Wise choice, It is odd that the grate could have two hands full of debris in the ocean and still the jet preforms well but in the river one stick will stop you dead...
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Stomp Plate
    Kicker mount
    Downrigger mounts
    Bowsprit ladder

Thanks!
    What Wooldridge do you have?
    Stomp grate is a must.
    Roof rack, meh. I've got 2 in wrapper still sticks of 1.75" .125 wall aluminum TUBE if you want a rack. (I weld and be d tube also)
    My only mod was a grate, if we don't count a new motor, new impellers, stators, box benches, new dash, new wiring, new carpet, and A little polish! I actually took off a mod, trim tabs.
    Good luck!

This is a poor picture but this is the roof rack I had made. Pretty handy for strapping down large light bulky items. Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    What Wooldridge do you have?
    Stomp grate is a must.
    Roof rack, meh. I've got 2 in wrapper still sticks of 1.75" .125 wall aluminum TUBE if you want a rack. (I weld and be d tube also)
    My only mod was a grate, if we don't count a new motor, new impellers, stators, box benches, new dash, new wiring, new carpet, and A little polish! I actually took off a mod, trim tabs.
    Good luck!
    I have a Sportstour 20 inboard.

I have a Sportstour 20 inboard.
    Cool. You think you need a rack?

I have a 20' sport with a 350IBJ. I added a stomp grate years ago. This past summer I put 2 20gal fuel tanks along the gunnels to try out, 340 mile trip required some extra fuel. They worked well enough that this winter I am installing them permanently behind the bench seats into the gunnels. I have a 60 gal tank under the floor. With my black poly jugs I'll have at least 160 gal of fuel. Trips up the Kantishna or Novi, etc. require a little extra fuel. I've been thinking about a roof rack for mounting lights as well as lighter gear. I have run sections of the Yukon I know pretty well at night, but having lights would be a good thing, logs, and other stuff floating down river. After 17 years my bottom looks like a used wash board. Lots of good ideas on this forum and others. A bow ladder could be handy as I get older, and I'm getting close. I have a full camper back, but kept the half cover drop curtain w/ a zipper door. I have some mosquito netting, as roll down windows on some sections, lots of versatility. I have a bow roller with a jam cleat welded on the bow, has been very handy. One of my GPS's has an Alaska Topo Map card,I always know which bend of the river I'm on, one has ocean coastal maps for AK. I have 2 different sonars. Another winter project is a kicker mount. Dipnetting the Copper without a back-up motor is not a great idea. I have a long pike pole mounted in gun mounts mounted on the port gunnel.

Nice picture of my slip in Valdez, to bad I wasn't there, and looks like another version of roof rack that works. Here is a pic of my river boat.
    riverboat.jpg

With the topper buttoned up the boat handled 5-6 foot waves pretty well this past summer crossing a huge lake. Took throttle control and attention, but she shed water like a duck, never buried the bow, but I'll try to take a rain check on that ride again. I have an ocean boat so don't need to haul pots or use downriggers with this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    Cool. You think you need a rack?
    I was kickin' the idea around...it's really a roomy boat so a rack might be overkill, I could certainly stow my shrimp pots on the engine cover when not in use and still have room to move around.

I was kickin' the idea around...it's really a roomy boat so a rack might be overkill, I could certainly stow my shrimp pots on the engine cover when not in use and still have room to move around.
    I have a rack on my Wolly and I enjoy it. Gives me a place to store my rods, makes a great hand hold, place to store NON HEAVY items, such as shrimp pots, totes, tents, etc. Photobucket sucks, so you will have to mine some of my old threads to see it. Mine has been worth it and even though I had it made to be removeable, I never have taken it off. Just don't want to ever get too much weight up high on a boat.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/