Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane shopping again

I guess I'm asking more for my interest than in an effort to be helpful, but how much of a project is it to outfit a Stinson 108-3 for floats?

Easy. Just limited room and weight.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

182C with float kit on Barnstormers posted yesterday.

Hmm , looks like a big project

I have now looked at or TRIED to look at enough planes to write an interesting magazine article.
    It is amazing how some folks will advertize a plane for sale, not know anything about it when you call, and then never send you any information when you ask for it. There are a lot of folks, particularly down south who think they are some sort of broker. I have discovered that dealing with a wannabe broker now makes two people who know nothing about the plane in question.

I hear ya there. I've chased all over the US/Alaska looking at "perfect" airplanes. I thought I found the one in N. CA at the famous dealer there. Had more corrosion than a 30 year ramp mummy left in Sitka. Last one we got came from CO. Had a few paperwork issues, as always, but was a clean airframe. I'd say it was at least 80% honest. We gave up and built an experimental Rans. We have way too much money in it but it was fun and we know what's in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I hear ya there. I've chased all over the US/Alaska looking at "perfect" airplanes. I thought I found the one in N. CA at the famous dealer there. Had more corrosion than a 30 year ramp mummy left in Sitka. Last one we got came from CO. Had a few paperwork issues, as always, but was a clean airframe. I'd say it was at least 80% honest. We gave up and built an experimental Rans. We have way too much money in it but it was fun and we know what's in there.
    Im in the same boat as Alex, except i still have something to fly. The search continues, and Im starting to think those Rans or any other experimental is looking pretty **** good right now!

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    Im in the same boat as Alex, except i still have something to fly. The search continues, and Im starting to think those Rans or any other experimental is looking pretty **** good right now!
    I'm starting to think about getting a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Not so much... I have been researching the Canadian plane route. If there is some oddball Canadian Only mod or stc that is not US approved, then the whole thing comes to screeching halt.

There is a plane in Michigan I like but the sellers will not answer e-mails, texts or phone calls.
    That plane in Michigan wasn't around me was it? I thought about this when I saw a float plane at Bishop Airport(FNT). Not too many float planes around here, although we have enough water, HA. I've been on a Super Cub, Beaver, Otter and a 180 on floats and there is nothing like it, all while hunting in Alaska. I see why you are having withdrawals. Hope the wife isn't giving you too much grief.

Could be. I think the seller is really a broker, so they do not want to admit they do not know anything about the plane.

On the other hand, there are some slick buyers out there too, at least they try to be. Had a guy come look at one, peered over the books, looked it over while in annual, convinced himself to buy it. I urged him to fly it, he declined. Urged his son to fly it. Declined. They got it home, figured out it wasn't what he wanted so went into the logs and found an error in the TT from 10 years prior to my ownership and wanted me to discount him $10K, after he paid for it and wouldn't test fly it. Told him I'd be happy to give his money back, bring the plane back, we'll inspect it for damage and I'll refund in full but there would be no discount.

Never another word.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    On the other hand, there are some slick buyers out there too, at least they try to be. Had a guy come look at one, peered over the books, looked it over while in annual, convinced himself to buy it. I urged him to fly it, he declined. Urged his son to fly it. Declined. They got it home, figured out it wasn't what he wanted so went into the logs and found an error in the TT from 10 years prior to my ownership and wanted me to discount him $10K, after he paid for it and wouldn't test fly it. Told him I'd be happy to give his money back, bring the plane back, we'll inspect it for damage and I'll refund in full but there would be no discount.

Never another word.
    You called his bluff, well done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12