Thread: First Buy Question

Default First Buy Question

Looking to purchase a snow machine in the near future and had a couple questions. I plan on buying a used one initially, but didn't know if they are like automobiles. What I mean by that is, are some for sport and other for hauling? I plan to used it to haul stuff to a future cabin as its main use, but I'd also like to take it hunting when possible.

Thans

Yes, just like buying a vehicle. I hunt, haul wood and generally do flat terrain. So I have a Scandic long track as my logging machine but just purchased a new Scandic long track/wide track as its replacement because the old one was on the heart monitor but survived. Use is going to be the decider on what you buy. Most people in my town run the mountains and have big paddle track machines. I am out of the norm over here. There is a lot in the archives here to search through if you have time.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ski-Doo/ Scandic wide track or super wide track for hauling. They will pull anything!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Skandic's, Bearcats, Vikings, Widetracks. All will do the job you're talking about. Just take some time and do some research, look at them at the dealerships and pick the one that you like that best suites your needs. It pretty much comes down to a Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing. I run a Skandic SWT 900 and love it. Pulls everything, including things I probably shouldn't, all while getting amazing fuel economy.

thanks for the replies. Once I get back im going to take a look around. Probably visit dealerships like mentioned and see what knowledge they can pass on then try and find something that's a good starter machine.

Once in a while a used Scandic wide track comes up used for sale. The older Scandic long track, (2005) is a great machine. Bush machine and it only weighs 435 lbs. if I remember right. My new one weighs 629 dry weight. They go fast though. I got my best price from Delta Power Sports. I know, a fair run from Anch. but they did me well and for me the distance was 50/50.

Is there a best time of year to purchase from a dealer? If I cant find anything on here or craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    Is there a best time of year to purchase from a dealer? If I cant find anything on here or craigslist?
    Spring, but you might get a deal on a left over 16 or 17.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Some good deals on previous year models. I have the bearcat 570 long track. Love it. But the 570 engine sucks fuel to the tune of about 8-10 mpg.

https://www.anchoragesuzukiarcticcat...ort/best-match

You may also want to consider a Ski Doo Expedition. There are two very different versions - the Sport (which has a 16" wide track) and the LE/SE (which has a 20" track). They are sort of the Cadillac of the Ski Doo trail/work/hauling line. I prefer the Expedition LE/SE over the Skandic because it has similar features (low/high gear, wide footprint with good towing capacity) but has an A-arm front suspension instead of a pogo-stick style suspension. The Sport is lightweight and less expensive, but won't pull as much weight. A Skandic SWT has a bigger footprint and is probably more readily available used.

With your intended usage, and where you will being using I strongly suggest buying a new rig. Sleds tend to get used hard and neglected. Buying used is a huge gamble. Especially is you are not mechanically inclined or living remote. Buy new. Know what you have. And with a warranty to back it up.

Many of us are brand loyal to some degree. But like was pointed out already, these days it's much a Ford,Chevy or that 3rd truck company. Pick your poision. That generally comes down to pick the dealer that treats you right and takes care of you.

Lots of good info here. I appreciate all the replies. I think I will start off with something used just to learn the ropes. Maybe have it a couple years and then figure out what I do/don't want in a snow machine then buy something new.

I've owned longtracks since '93. I have always wanted a Ski-Don't Super Wide Track. Never bought one, and have regretted it. Get one. Go on YuoTube and watch them in action; they can do just about anything any other machine can. I'd got for the 130 hp 600 H.O. Just watch a few.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    With your intended usage, and where you will being using I strongly suggest buying a new rig. Sleds tend to get used hard and neglected. Buying used is a huge gamble. Especially is you are not mechanically inclined or living remote. Buy new. Know what you have. And with a warranty to back it up.

Many of us are brand loyal to some degree. But like was pointed out already, these days it's much a Ford,Chevy or that 3rd truck company. Pick your poision. That generally comes down to pick the dealer that treats you right and takes care of you.
    Ultrarider is right - utility sleds usually get worked hard, but that being said - most guys and gals who have a utility sled keep good maintenance on their sleds since the walk home is a lot worse than the repairs necessary. To add to the suggestions: Skandic or Expedition is the way to go. I've owned every brand on the market and now only have Ski-Doos. After all, they make airplanes and the refined nature of their sleds show it. They don't cost any different than any other brand, but they certainly have the market cornered when it comes to snowmachines. If you can find an older 550f Skandic... you can't go wrong. Think of them as the original Humvee of snowmachines.

Oh, and if you can afford it - get the ACE motor. I have the Etec and the ACE, and while both have their strengths (power vs. torque). The ACE is ridiculous quiet and almost maintenance free. They are like a Honda motor... change the oil every 5k miles and keep on running. 30mpg doesn't hurt either!

I'll second.. or third the vote for skidoo expedition. I bought new. 600 ace. In 2 seasons I've put 900 miles on it and 15 on my mtn sled. It's plush, quiet, enough power most of the time, and quite reliable. I've drug cabin materials, caribou, camp gear, and fuel with it and it hasn't given me issues. Put a skid plate on it from the get go and the bigger bumper too.