Thread: Barney's Pinnacle v. Barney's Hunter

Default Barney's Pinnacle v. Barney's Hunter

I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket and since I'll be an annual visiting hunter in Alaska, I thought I'd get me an external backpack (while waiting on my Levitator).

I'm between a Barney's Pinnacle pack and a Barney's Hunter pack. The Pinnacle is the biggest pack Barney's makes at 7,600 cu. in. and the Hunter is about 6,500 cu. in. Both come in 500d and 1000d codura.

That being considered, which one would you choose and why? And, I will not consider another pack so please keep it between these 2.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Are these the same as the Moose pack that I bought from Barney's in Anchorage a number of years back. I think it was called a freighter frame???

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Lightbulb

i have and still use the pinnnalce pack with the kevlar material. i will be using it again the the park next month. it has served me well and has a lifetime warranty that gives me peace of mind.

the many pockets help to better organize my gear. hope that helps.

AkBass, Barney's has a Moose pack also, however, it is smaller. I'm get the freighter frame also but I'm between their 2 biggest packs - Pinnacle (biggest), Hunter (2nd to biggest).
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Just remember, he with the bigger pack gets the bigger load!!! At least that was the rule when I was packing moose. Actually, the bigger bags are great when you need a little extra room.

Default Packs

The pinnacle has more capacity because the pack material is goes all the way to the bottom of the frame. The other Barney packs have the shelf just below the bottom of the pack material. The shelf is useful for hauling heavy items like moose quarters. I have one of the Barney packs and I usually strap light weight items like my sleeping bag where the shelf is since I just fold the shelf against the back of the frame. Using the pinnacle the same items would go in the very bottom of the pack. You can't go wrong with either pack and I have no complaints with my pack except it has on occassion been way to heavy!!!

AKHUNTINFOOL - that being said, which Barney's pack do you have?

I was in Barneys a couple of weeks ago looking as well. The frame and harness system they had hanging on the wall had a fold down shelf that was removable. Does anyone know if this is the same frame and shelf comes with both packs? If so you could fold up or remove the shelf on the Pinnacle when using the bag and still have a shelf available when when you remove the bag to pack out game.

Default Pack Out

You don't really need a shelf for the pack out, just put the meat in game bags inside the pack. You can also put it inside a plastic bag to keep you pack clean, but don't keep it in there long. The Pinnacle will hold a lot of weight even without the shelf.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

What Barney's internal frame pack would be recommended for a hike-in hunt for caribou?

We own two pinnacles . I wanted a pack that would fit a moose quarter . You won't be diappointed by getting the bigger of the two packs .

Default Packs

Romo,

I think it was called the predator but I don't see it on Barneys website so maybe they don't offer it anymore. It looks like the Hunter but has a full length side pocket on each side of the pack. Smaller pockets may be useful for some organization but sheep hunters need long pockets for tripods, spotting scopes ...etc.

When you get your pack take the top pins out and push the "U" shaped top bar down into the frame as far as you can, then drill threw the existing holes in the frame and put the pins back in. This will reduce the height of the frame above your head and the pack won't hang up on alders and other brush as much. When you have a big load you can always extend the top bar back to its original height for the pack out.

Default Top Bar

Or just take the top bar off. I haven't found any use for mine.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I spoke with Bob today and here are the differences:

Pinnacle: 7,800 cu. in.; top access only; not compartmentalized inside the bag; 2-3 (I can't remember) more external pockets; the frame shelf is removed when using this bag.

Hunter: 6,800 cu in; top and bottom access; compartmentalized - can have a lower and upper compartment much the same way as a Kifaru Longhunter; frame shelf is not removed when using bag.

Weight is the same because of the material used to compartmentalize the Hunter.

Any other opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Or just take the top bar off. I haven't found any use for mine.

neither have I.

my very first super cub ride, the pilot relieved me of my top bar, i think it went about 30 yards or so...never looked back. Fun to hear a pilot grumble as he loads his plane!
    i've been wearing the pinniacle for 9 years now, and can't see why someone would get a smaller pack, its the only pack a 10 foot bear will fit in that i've ever seen. dream big. I'm on my third frame and second bag, but were talking almost 20 hunts a year with it, several hundred miles and who knows how much weight, i wear my pack more than i sleep in a bed.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The pinnacle it is...ordered it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    The pinnacle it is...ordered it this week.
    I pick mine up early next week. I can't wait to use it.