Thread: The moon and Moose

Default The moon and Moose

I have a trip planned in the fall to hunt Moose. We'll be floating an interior river for 10 to 14 days. I looked up the moon phase for this trip and it looks like we'll start hunting only a day after the full moon. Here in Colorado the Elk hunting is worthless when there is a bright moon out. The Elk tend to be nocternal anyway with hunting pressure, but by adding more light to their habitat it lets them get all their grazing and moving done before it's light enough for us hunters to dial them in. I was curious to know if Moose react to the moon the same way. Dose the added light in the sky help them avoid hunters and allow them to feed more in darkness? Will it effect the rut? And if so what are some tricks of the trade to get around this hardship?

Thumbs up

Last year we killed 3 moose on Sept 20th and the moon was 90% visible disk.

The year before we killed 3 moose on Sept 17th and the moon was 12% disk showing.

The year before that we killed 3 moose on Sept 17th as well and it was a full moon.

So if I had to answer the question I would say you want Clear, cold and no wind and you will have a dead moose.

I don't pay attention to the moon anymore for moose. I think it is more of a reason for guys to have something to talk about. That is just my opinion.

It is fact the rut is pushed in by the decreasing daylight hitting the retina so I think as long as your at the latter end of the season that is the most important part. If it is cool the bulls will be more prone to moving around more than if it is warm. But as far as I know from all the moose biological studies I have done the temperature does not affect the rut only movement.

Default Hunting Moon phases on the Yukon...

You'd be lucky to see a full moon on the lower Yukon as it's the rainy season & always cloudy...winter time you might see a full moon, but it'd be sooo cold you'd want to not hunt...

Sheesh, three years of 3-moose days? Do you need a hunting partner, 375? Wow.

-Brian

Smile Moon and Moose

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag
    Last year we killed 3 moose on Sept 20th and the moon was 90% visible disk.

The year before we killed 3 moose on Sept 17th and the moon was 12% disk showing.

The year before that we killed 3 moose on Sept 17th as well and it was a full moon...

One thing I have noticed is that moose behave differently with respect to specific locations and the moon phase. In other words, it works differently from one area to another. Please send me a private message detailing the exact locations of these hunts, and I'd be more than happy to offer my opinion on what effect the moon should have on those areas. Could you send GPS coordinates?

Heh...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I think that the weather has more to do with it. When it dips down below freezing it seems to get those big boys on the move. Full moon or no moon. Cold weather = "love is in the air"
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Mike, that's not right, asking 375 for info. You know fully well, that homerdave has identified 375 as part of the problem on the Yukon. Anyone associating with him just isn't an ethical hunter. That kind of success just isn't right. Dave said so.
    Now I, on the other hand, hunting more or less the same area, only take a moose about every 3 years. Of course, that might be cause I'm too busy drinking, as opposed to 375, who actually HUNTS for his moose. Anyway.......your welcome to come dri...........uhhhhhh..........I mean hunt, with me in that area this fall.............<grin>!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Martentapper,

Thanks for the humor. LMAO. I like what you write, so true..sarcasim aside ;-)

colodan,

I would take 375 Ultramags advise quite seriously. The man is a proven bull moose killer, year in and year out. I have learned a tremendous amount of moose hunting tactics and knowledge from him. He speaks the truth as per his postings.

Our hunting party has comparable success rates as .375, and I will agree that the moon phase has very little or nothing to do with our success rate. It seems the water level in the river is the single largest factor as we only hunt the river by catching them out on the bars...much less work.