Thread: Two bull Caribou, One Bull Moose via Clipper Canoe and 8hp Evinrude

Default Two bull Caribou, One Bull Moose via Clipper Canoe and 8hp Evinrude

Hunting the Tangle Lakes and the Delta River was new country for me this year. That thick brush/open country is not my normal hunting environment. With the possibility of a portage around the falls, and on down the Delta River I used a lighter canoe this year, a 17.5 ft clipper powered by a two stroke 8 hp evinrude on a lift. This was the old way of doing it before big Cadillac armored freighters and fancy surface drives. Was a good walk down memory lane in a modest, bread and butter 17 footer powered by a handy old two stroke. The oldies still work yah know (grummans, old towns, clippers, esquifs).

After filling the caribou tags, I blew it on a big moose late one evening around the 8th of September. I called a 60 incher right into camp. It was dim light at around 8pm and I couldn't see my iron sights. He came ah grunting, then stopped just shy of camp down in the dwarf birch and willow brush in a ravine. I closed the distance to 50 yds, and tried drilling him through the brush. Bullet didn't even touch him. I had no scope, if I did, would'a shot him as he crested a hill, grunting at me 200 yds away.

What does he do? He calls my four camp cows (congregated around my camp) into the hills. The big bull, nor my camp cows never to be seen again.

After putting up the caribou, I motored up that cold, swift, braided mess of a Delta River, all the way up near the whitewater, desperate to redeem myself on a different moose.

A couple days later(equipped with a rifle scope), I ran back down with a canoe full o three brow-tine/40 incher sized moosey (any-bull permit), somewhat redeemed, but still haunted by the one I missed.

Due to some rude crowder-jerks wallowing around only 50 yards behind my tent, who of course parked their atv's right across the river from where my canoe was banked, I was forced to make a 500 yd hail-mary-shot from a 2000 ft bluff where I was calling the moose. I only took the shot fearing that I might not get another chance, due to the noisy crowders and my time constraints awaiting back at the canoe shop. The bull knew something was off, he could hear them crowders behind my camp, was real spookey.

First shot hit the water near his leg, even after putting the cross hairs at the top of his back. Next shot, I centered the thick part of the crosshair on the top of his back, he looked like a mouse in my 5 power scope. Was nice motoring by them crowders the next morning, old beat-up canoe full o moose. I squawked at them crowders like a raven, and did a little bird dance while throttling my 8 hp evinrude.

A few times below where eureka creek dumps into the Delta, I chose the wrong river braid of a half dozen different choices, due to fatigue and the winds making it hard to judge that nasty mess of a river. The clipper canoe frequently tobogganed down rocks and gravel with a few inches of fast water pouring over the top. The water was so fast in the chutes, that I didn't ground out much. I'd keep the motor running bouncing off bottom, and throttle down when the water got slightly deeper, oftentimes to escape a wood pile-up.

I was pretty impressed with the little clipper, no keels, no damage and very flexible/forgiving lay-up. Right after Eureka Creek in the Canyon, out of curiosity, I turned the canoe around and pointed it loaded with a bull moose moose and camp, back against a fast, deep chute of the river. The mighty little 8hp evinrude could actually make about 1mph against the fast current with such a load. Could've only been a 1/2 mile an hour, but i had banjo music playing in my mind, so it felt about 1mph. Then, when I turned the canoe around, I just about filled it with water splashing over the gunwale, due to lack of free board and the physics of being sideways against fast water with all that weight in the canoe. Enough of that silly business, took me forever to bilge the boat with a coffee cup.

Due to the finesse of throttle, and river-judging, I didn't use a rock guard and didn't blow a single sheer pin, but did bend one prop blade slightly

7 gallons of gas=lotta meat this winter. Ill load up pictures soon.

-some weird observations:

A magpie jack-hammered a fist sized hole through my cheap game bags and stole 1/4lb of fat off my moose meat.

I found fresh killed caribou, killed by wolves on the bluff I was calling from. They ate everything but the penis.

I found really old traps, cables affixed to trees were deep inside the growing trees. They could've been older than when Alaska became a state.

In the dead of night as I gutted the moose, my headlamp exposed a pile of moving eyes in the water. A school of grayling came in and were tearing at the entrails like a bunch of piranhas, Alaskan piranhas.

I forgot toilet paper and did all my bum-wiping with moss (the kind you chink a trapper cabin with). It was very cold, and exhilarating, cleaned up better than toilet paper.

a few pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images

a few pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images

As always you had a great adventure a moose and bou in the freezer

Congratulations is in order and appreciate you sharing the wonderful write up. Would love to hear a little more about the caribous and some pictures of that part of your trip if you have any
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Cograts sounds like it was a great youll eat good this winter
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Badazz as usual, M.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

The most impressive thing about this whole story is that you did it with an Evinrude!!!! You are a brave man sir, and a great hunter.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Those 8 HP 2 Stroke OB are a great motor, sold mine to my buddy years ago and its still in use. Great canoe motors. Nice hunt Mike! I was on the
    Denali same time should have used my Kaboat instead of the wheeler what a zoo!

Boy that looks like a great rig!!!!

Very nice Mike! Looks like a great fall season for you!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Mike..would love some details regarding your lift. looks like the right kind of gear!

Out doing instead of sitting around talking about. Great read and pics
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Always love reading your tales of adventure. Walk the walk or paddle the water... LOL. Nicely done as usual.

sounds like you had a good trip ,m with some rewards [ MEAT ]
    PS,, gave you a rock guard if I remember correctly that would fit the eng,
    glad the sheer pin did not give way when you was broad side in the water with
    a full load, almost coming over the side , SID

Congrats on a great adventure, Mike!
    But, maybe TMI at the end?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Congratulation on the successful harvests. Good thing you were able to make it happen in spite of the other people nearby.