Thread: 18 Ft Taiga named Lyra, runs some 800 miles to Arctic Village:

Default 18 Ft Taiga named Lyra, runs some 800 miles to Arctic Village:

I want to be like these guys when I grow up. That's a haul, I enjoy her writing style, kind of like a hip, new-age Jack London or John McPhee:

"Today felt like climbing stairs. We would ascend a set of white rapids and then level off a bit, ascend and then level. Geoff encouraged me to take the helm and drive a little in the rapids. Lyra handled beautifully, but it took ages for my heart rate to normalize afterward. There was all this noise and pull at the tiller, and sometimes this dizzying illusion of descent as we climbed upward and the valley opened away, apparently below us. I felt light-headed and giddy and out of control, and I was more than glad to let Geoff take over after Id proved to myself that I could guide us through the narrow channels between shoals and among the gnarly white pits that marked submerged boulders."

https://chasingpiggens.wordpress.com...handalar-2017/

gonna have to get these guys a torque prop.....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I want to be like these guys when I grow up. That's a haul, I enjoy her writing style, kind of like a hip, new-age Jack London or John McPhee:

"Today felt like climbing stairs. We would ascend a set of white rapids and then level off a bit, ascend and then level. Geoff encouraged me to take the helm and drive a little in the rapids. Lyra handled beautifully, but it took ages for my heart rate to normalize afterward. There was all this noise and pull at the tiller, and sometimes this dizzying illusion of descent as we climbed upward and the valley opened away, apparently below us. I felt light-headed and giddy and out of control, and I was more than glad to let Geoff take over after Id proved to myself that I could guide us through the narrow channels between shoals and among the gnarly white pits that marked submerged boulders."

https://chasingpiggens.wordpress.com...handalar-2017/

gonna have to get these guys a torque prop.....
    ive read a few of the entries. Tired so I will need to read more, but any idea why they weren't getting very good fuel consumption? Unrealistic expectations? Load?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    ive read a few of the entries. Tired so I will need to read more, but any idea why they weren't getting very good fuel consumption? Unrealistic expectations? Load?
    "gonna have to get these guys a torque prop....."

Prop change may help, from the pics where the water line was 2 ft back of bow looks like they were bow heavy and plowing water.

Interesting. Now I have some reading material. Torque prop vs regular prop.

Looks like it was a fun trip. A longer trip like that is on my list. Thanks for the link as it was an entertaining read.