Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you using for inflatables?

Default What are you using for inflatables?

Going to be shopping for an inflatable for the new boat, probably 10 footer and match it with a 6 horse Suzuki. Welcome any brands to look for and of course those to avoid.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Excellent question, I've been wondering also!! Any tips, recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Going to be shopping for an inflatable for the new boat, probably 10 footer and match it with a 6 horse Suzuki. Welcome any brands to look for and of course those to avoid.
    Had, Avon and zodiac. Zodiac are less expensive and I use them yearly with heavy use. No matter what inflatable you have with soft bottom will get punctured floor and tube. So PVC works good for me from zodiac with a 2 stroke 8hp

Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The Alaska Series / Gary King are fantastic. Very well protected from slicing, unlike most of the options. Our zodiac was not very tough, the AK Series is bomber - great product, good price. Ours is 10' or so. We run a 2hp, but it is rated for 15, but that would be really heavy and overkill. BTW, the 2hp is air cooled and has the tank on top. It is so light that putting it on, and taking it off, are not issues. Plus, not having a tank taking up space is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by stroganof View Post
    The Alaska Series / Gary King are fantastic. Very well protected from slicing, unlike most of the options. Our zodiac was not very tough, the AK Series is bomber - great product, good price. Ours is 10' or so. We run a 2hp, but it is rated for 15, but that would be really heavy and overkill. BTW, the 2hp is air cooled and has the tank on top. It is so light that putting it on, and taking it off, are not issues. Plus, not having a tank taking up space is nice.
    The Alaska Series / Gary King are fantastic,,, What he said!! Been using the same one for over ten years, no repairs, do have the heavy duty bottom.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I like the Alaska Gary Kings as well. I have the 270TDS which only weighs 50 lbs. I have had mine for 9 seasons, and it is still holding up well. I had a filling valve leak at one point and Jim King replaced it for free. It would be my first choice if I needed another one, but mine is going strong!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

What do you plan to do with it? If it's just to get to a close shoreline you don't need much.
    If you want something you can actually get around in get the biggest one with the biggest outboard you can handle.
    Do you have a Davit?
    I had a little Gary King on my last boat and hated it, was a pain to take down sketchy with 2 people and then the little 6hp outboard setup was lame a pain to put together and wouldn't even plane out.
    I put a little davit and a couple mounts on my new boat and can get my 10'6" AB rigid with a 20hp outboard on and off by myself easily, leave it all set up and ready to go.
    The 20hp Suzuki was just a few pounds more than the 9.9 or 15hp. I now have great stability and can plane right out with 3 adults.
    Redleader standing by

We picked up a new AK Series 8'10" tender this spring. We love it. I have a 2.5 Suzuki that should push it OK for getting to the beach. I'll let ya know after this weekend how it really does. It's a nice and light combo with tons of room inside for sure.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Mainly used for hunting. Getting to/from shore with deer and black bear. Most of our seal and sea otter hunting done from rocky areas so it needs to be tough.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Ditto here for the Gary King inflatables. We have the 270SDS with the aluminum floor and a 5hp Tohatsu. Works great for what you are looking for. Just used it this past weekend in the Sound with multiple trips to shore hunting deer. I keep it fully rigged up top with the outboard and use my davit/crane for loading and unloading.
    ROLL TIDE
    28' Raider Offshore w/Twin Suzuki 200's
    MMSI# 338231009

IMG_5866.jpg
    Mainly used for hunting. Getting to/from shore with deer and black bear. Most of our seal and sea otter hunting done from rocky areas so it needs to be tough.
    Definitely would go with an RIB then if your boat can handle it.
    Redleader standing by

The raft that came with my boat is very similar to the pic above of tlingitwarrior's.
    It's an 11ft West Marine. Thoughts on the brand, capability?
    What's an average size most boaters use??? 11ft,12ft??
    It will also be for traveling to shore and back for possible hunts, deer,etc?
    I need to get a small motor still, probably a 5 horse?

I have a brand new Alaska Series 240 in the garage. Will pair it with a 2 horse yammie. No experience with it yet....

[QUOTE=fishing nut;1613856]The raft that came with my boat is very similar to the pic above of tlingitwarrior's.
    It's an 11ft West Marine. Thoughts on the brand, capability?
    What's an average size most boaters use??? 11ft,12ft??
    It will also be for traveling to shore and back for possible hunts, deer,etc?
    I need to get a small motor still, probably a 5 horse?

Most rafts are around 10' from what I have seen. Some have smaller 2 or 3 person size rafts - and relatively few are over 10' probably because they get pretty heavy and, if you store them up top, it can be a wrestling match.

As far as motors, if you just need to get to shore and back 2hp is fine and preferable in my book - the motors are light, easy to take on and off, sip fuel and work really well. 5hp is fine, but they are heavier and don't have enough power to get you on step, so marginal benefit IMO. On the other hand, if you plan to take a crew on extended cruises for hunting, a bigger raft with a bigger motor may make more sense (as others have said).

Most rafts "perform" fine, the main issue is whether, or not, are they going to get sliced up when you take them ashore. The shale in PWS cuts like a razor, as do various shells, barnacles and such. Unless your raft has a reinforced underside you are very likely to puncture it.

I went with an RIB so I could have a planing hull thats solid aluminum.
    They come in different sizes but heres a picture of my setup.IMG_1129.jpg
    Redleader standing by

Default What are you using for inflatables?

I thought of the 2-3 horse range. Great reminder, lighter the better. I was leaning toward speed getting to the boat quick. Probably not much difference in speed. I will have to get something different though, my bottom is soft and can get easily punctured. I was never fond of the soft bottom. Thanks for the tip! Awesome info Stroganof, thank you for taking the time to reply and share!!!!!!

I am using an Achilles HB-310AX. It is an aluminum bottom RIB. I have a 6hp Suzuki on it and can get on step with me and the dog in it. With 2 people and the dog it does not get on step. I use a davit to lift it on and off the boat and added Beachmaster dinghy wheels to drag it up the beach.

Would you consider a 13' or 15' kaboat?
    I will say that the motor matters. I put a 2.5 Suzuki on my kaboat. Yeah...it's quiet. It's efficient. But it's too slow. Back to the 7.5 merc 2 stroke.

Congratulations on the new boat build, if your having a Davit installed I'd go with whatever size RIB fits the roof and largest outboard it''s rated for.
    If man handling I'd go small and light.
    Redleader standing by

I have an Alaska Series Gary King that is almost one year old (9'?) that I will be selling if you are interested. It has been used twice and has been in for repairs for the last 3.5 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast