Thread: Haul Road Proxy!!!!!!!!

Default Haul Road Proxy!!!!!!!!

Just going to throw this out there. If your are interested then by all means contact me. If you laugh at this then that means you are not interested.

If any certified bow hunters are not going to get a chance to go up to the Hall road and hunt for caribou, I'm willing to take a proxy tag with me and if I get my Caribou I will try to fill your tag.

Feel free to send me a PM on this. This could be a good way to get some delicous caribou meat if you can't go this year. I'm serious on this, not a joke.

Good hunting and straight arrows.

Does the person you're proxy hunting for have to be a certified bowhunter? If not, I might know someone who would love to put some meat in his freezer. He is a construction worker who got a compound fracture of both his tibia and fibia and will likely be in a wheelchair for the rest of the year. It would make sense that they have to be certified in the area you'll be hunting, though. Hmmm... I was going to sign up to be his proxy, but between my caribou permit and my wife's caribou and moose, I don't know that I'll be able to put in a lot more time trying to fill his tag.

The beneficiary will have to have an IBEP or equivalent certification.

I'll be honost, I'm not sure how I feel about this thread. I tend to think that it is somewhat of an abuse of the proxy system to solicit people whom you don't know to go kill something for them, but on the flip side, they make the rules and if you follow them then it's all good. I just worry about the future of the proxy system after seeing all the changes lately towards it because people are taking advantage of it. I have proxy hunted and fished for family members that are unable to do so any more for several years. I wonder if the proxy system keeps getting abused, it will eventually be gone for good.

I'm not looking at arguing this point, but I am curious to hear other peoples views on this.

Default Hm...

Hm... this is interesting enough for me to post that I know 2 people who are going up and they might be excited to take you up on the offer.
    I know that one of the gentlemen are interested in obtaining his registered guide license in December in ANC and I think that he might need some additional kills in certain GMU areas.
    Keep me fresh in your memory and once I have a chance to discuss this with my husband so that he could discuss this with who he knows that is planning on being up there... I'll get back to you on this one.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Hm... this is interesting enough for me to post that I know 2 people who are going up and they might be excited to take you up on the offer.

A proxy is where one person (Bryan19 in this case) hunts on behalf of a person who is either 70% or more disabled or over 65 years old. Bryan is looking for someone who is unable to hunt but who wants/needs game meat for their freezer, in which case he would harvest a second caribou (in addition to his own) for them.

-Brian

I was just discussing this with my husband and I completely missed understood.
    I suppose my question really was.. is he a certified bowhunter? If he wasn't, I was going to suggest the gentleman that I know is all, because he's a certified bow hunter and plans to be in the area.
    Lurker.

I do agree that this is within the rules but may seem wrong to some. The reason behind me asking is just to help some people out. It's a very long drive and by no means a cheap hunt. I figured that since I will be all the way up there, that maybe some one who has been injured, or is getting a bit old for the hunt may need some help.
    The answer to the question about certified bow hunting:
    I'am certified and to proxy hunt within the Dalton Highway Coridor (5 miles from roadway) the person issueing the proxy would also have to be certified. If i wanted to walk in 5 miles then being certified with a bow is not required. In fact a rifle can be used at that point.
    So this should answer the questions, i will be headed up in two weeks, let me know if you are interested.

not seeing anyone jump at this offer, but that is not a surprise. Good luck to you all headed up there.

Talking Proxy is needed and wanted by many

My name is Stephanie and I am currently under my husband account and he asked me check this thread while he is restringing his bows. I appreciate this gentlemans offer as I am a permanent disabled hunter and I do rely on proxy system.

My husband works long hours and the gentleman is right it is a pricy hunt. So, again I appreciate the offer and the sentiment behind it. I probably would have taken him up on the offer if I had been certified to hunt by bow.

We do need the proxy system but, we do need to keep checks and balances as I am sure just like everything good can be abused.
    Thanks again for the offer and good luck on your hunt, I hope you read this.

I cant wait to show this thread to fish and game. Maybe they will get rid of the proxy system once and for all.

Wink there is always at least one

THERE IS ALWAYS AT LEAST ONE %$#%$. Bryan It was good of you to offer. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE PROXY SYSTEM You are offering to help someone who cannot do it themselves and could use the meat. That is a noble thing, and alot of extra work. I hope this thread is shown to fish and game because the people there I know will appreciate what you are doing. Not everyone knows another hunter who can, or is willing to help them. So I gues to some people that means they should go without. That is just pure selfish @%#@. I'm glad you where willing to help out a stranger. Good luck to you

Default Antler Value

If I'm not mistaken, don't the antlers of all caribou killed by the hunter get destroyed when someone is proxy hunting now? Then, I can't see why anyone would think this is a bad thing or taking advantage of others.(TonyH). It seems that Brian is truley looking to help someone out while making the most of his hunting trip.

This sounds like a legit offer to help someone with your labor, time and money. I do believe it would take more than the thrill of the stalk and kill for someone to offer to do this for some stranger.

I'm not sure what the rule is on the antlers. But for those of you who have made the stalk with a bow know what i'm talking about, it is a huge rush and one hard to match. I'm very glad to see that most of you appriciate the offer that I made. Tony I hope you can see that you are wrong in your beliefs, but you are intitled to them and I will not harp for them.
    It is a great honor to hunt the caribou with a bow and i look forward to it every year. Good luck to you all heading north.

I would be carefull telling someone he is wrong in his beliefs. I think the proxy sytem is well.... So full of BS it could kill a buzzard.

The haul road is abused enough as it is. People call it a free for all "hunt". So far I am the only hunter I have seen hiking out with bow in hand over a half mile off the road. I know there is going to be people on here saying oh I go over a half mile off the road. But yet all the times I have been up there... I have yet to see one.

This thread is uncalled for. Help someone close at home, or your neighbor. But dont post on the internet that you want to kill another animal for the good of someone else.