Thread: Roll up hunting sled

Default Roll up hunting sled

I seem to remember a few people talking about these one time or another so just looking for some up-dates or any new info on them. Has anyone used any of these lately? Obviously thinking of using one for doing the 5 mile hike in if we end up chasing caribou.

If you have, where did you get it. Make and Model?

How well has it work for you? Are there any tips you could offer about using them?

I know that cabelas sell one version but if looks like a cheap piece of junk. I was wondering about a heavy duty version that maybe the side tie up and a good shoulder harness. I was looking and found some mountaineering rescue versions that looked great but they wanted something like $650 for it and they are crazy!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

We use this for bou on the north slope and deer in pws.
    https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-27375.../dp/B000V6NAIC

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I used a cheap one on Kodiak for deer one year. Sportsmans Guide cheap. The sides tied up. I dragged a gutted buck about 2 miles, including up over a small mountain (@ 400 tall) twice. The third buck I skinned, quartered, tied to a good, comfortable packframe and carried.

I came home thinking that carrying beat dragging. I remember that brush was a PITA in the drag. Id bet hummocks would be a PITA, too. But caribou are heavier than deer.

I actually just used a roll-up one from Cabela's last month to haul a moose back to camp. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, when I bought it a couple years ago after humping two moose on my back to camp that season. Didn't need it last year because we shot our moose right at the edge of the lake on dry ground. This year was different. I got to use the sled, and it actually worked pretty well for me. However, I was in a pretty much perfect field application for it, i.e., tundra, established pathways through the brush, just one up-hill/down-hill, relatively short distance (about a half-mile), no ground water, etc. It takes a bit of adjusting the front with each different load to get it shaped for pulling effectively, but that was pretty much easy. I'd only haul one quarter or large pieces/parts bag at a time. The plastic on mine is pretty thick. I didn't pull from the grommets, but rather passed my rope (an after market rope, not the POS that came with it) through the grommets and then tied the rope to the quarter or bag. I used the front and side grommets to shape the sled for pulling. There was no damage to the sled, and it's good to go for another trip. Not giving it some kind of super thumbs up endorsement, just saying that it did work out pretty well for me under perhaps ideal field conditions, and I was glad to have it. I'll be taking it again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I actually just used a roll-up one from Cabela's last month to haul a moose back to camp. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, when I bought it a couple years ago after humping two moose on my back to camp that season. Didn't need it last year because we shot our moose right at the edge of the lake on dry ground. This year was different. I got to use the sled, and it actually worked pretty well for me. However, I was in a pretty much perfect field application for it, i.e., tundra, established pathways through the brush, just one up-hill/down-hill, relatively short distance (about a half-mile), no ground water, etc. It takes a bit of adjusting the front with each different load to get it shaped for pulling effectively, but that was pretty much easy. I'd only haul one quarter or large pieces/parts bag at a time. The plastic on mine is pretty thick. I didn't pull from the grommets, but rather passed my rope (an after market rope, not the POS that came with it) through the grommets and then tied the rope to the quarter or bag. I used the front and side grommets to shape the sled for pulling. There was no damage to the sled, and it's good to go for another trip. Not giving it some kind of super thumbs up endorsement, just saying that it did work out pretty well for me under perhaps ideal field conditions, and I was glad to have it. I'll be taking it again next year.
    Do you think that it would work for the haul road trip? Did you order it or did they have it in anchorage?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I ordered it, and it's the larger version. I've driven (not hunted) the haul road a few times, and the topography varies considerably along the way. Some of the areas I saw, yes, some nope. Mine is not super light-weight because the plastic is relatively thick on it, which I preferred. That said, it's not really a major heavy item if hauling in your back pack for the day while hunting. I wouldn't want to pack it along if I were also carrying my camp on my back.

Shoot me an email, and we'll figure out a way you can check it out when you are in town sometime. Semper Fi brother.

I have used these sleds many times on both moose and caribou hunts. The one with the link about we used on a caribou hunt this year and it worked but its pretty cheaply made and you will have to make some mods for longer treks in because it does not come with a shoulder harness. They are great to have and will save your back as well. They are a must on any hunt I do now.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Larry Bartlett has a thread somewhere here on the forums on how to design your own heavy duty version using UHMW plastic I think. Perhaps someone will post a link to that info.

Northern Sled Works in Fairbanks makes UHMW sleds. I purchased one this year and haven't had a chance to pull game with it yet but used it on a north slope float hunt for various things such as hauling equipment when portaging/gathering wood. So far it has been great. It is an ultra light siglin pulk, it can be rolled up and the sides tie up very well, actually used d-rings to do it quickly. Link below.

http://www.northernsledworks.com/Siglin_Pulks.html

I have used one similar to this, worked okay, better than it on my back if cheaper is better for ya.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/AIRHE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

We used a couple of these this year for caribou and they worked great. We used a machete to clear a path through the willows, they drug really well on and off established trails.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A19XE0CFLN81HP

Quote Originally Posted by highcountrybulls View Post
    We used a couple of these this year for caribou and they worked great. We used a machete to clear a path through the willows, they drug really well on and off established trails.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A19XE0CFLN81HP
    That's the same one I got through Cabela's, and used last month for a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by carter33 View Post
    northern sled works in fairbanks makes uhmw sleds. I purchased one this year and haven't had a chance to pull game with it yet but used it on a north slope float hunt for various things such as hauling equipment when portaging/gathering wood. So far it has been great. It is an ultra light siglin pulk, it can be rolled up and the sides tie up very well, actually used d-rings to do it quickly. Link below.

http://www.northernsledworks.com/siglin_pulks.html
    this one looks nice but pretty pricey and at only 12" wide doesn't seem like it would cover use. Very little would fit. Quartered up game is bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by highcountrybulls View Post
    we used a couple of these this year for caribou and they worked great. We used a machete to clear a path through the willows, they drug really well on and off established trails.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...a19xe0cfln81hp
    seen this one and been eyeballing it. May be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain joe View Post
    larry bartlett has a thread somewhere here on the forums on how to design your own heavy duty version using uhmw plastic i think. Perhaps someone will post a link to that info.
    does anyone know about this, would love to look it over
    Semper Fi and God Bless

It won't let copy the link for some reason but go to advanced search and search, "sled" - titles only and put Larry Bartlett under username. It's the only one that comes up.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Bartlet's website is "Pristine Ventures". There should be something there about his sled.

Here ya go. This is the thread that I was referring to earlier.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=sled

I built a couple for my wifes bison tag last winter. They cost me about 50 bucks each. Worked amazing.

Looks good....was that off of Larry's plan or your own?

Oh and btw...Didn't you draw a bison tag like a couple years ago, and then your wife draws one last year? What up with that...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I guess it must be good living! We have been blessed with some lucky tags over the last couple years.speeking of luck we are off to afognak in a week for my wife's brown bear tag. As for the sled I just did some research on line and combined all the pictures of the sleds I liked and made one myself. We will be bringing them to afognak as well. Wish us luck.