Thread: Prop testing on an 0-360

Default Prop testing on an 0-360

I am sure there are several on here that know that I just finished an 11 month rebuild on my super cub. So far it has exceeded my expectation in most respects. I have taken almost 100 lbs out of it in the rebuild, gave it somewhere around 10-15 more horsepower in the 0-360, and rigged it properly, making it fly so much better than it did before. It fly's much faster, slows down better, and with the largest baggage doors you can possibly put on a cub, it has way more utility than it did before.

The only issue I have been dreading this whole build is the prop. The Sensenich cruise prop (76/54) and the A200 club (82/43) are really the only legal props I have ever heard of. The problem is, the club is 47lbs, and along with the added engine weight of the 0-360, it makes it kind of a pig and very nose heavy. My IA had tossed around the idea of going with the old Sensenich W80CM8 80/44 wood prop that he use to run in the day. He said that it was a heck of a performer, but with the varnished wood finish, and stainless leading edge, it had some pretty serious issues if you flew it in the rain, or landed in any kind of brush that the prop would hit. Well recently, Sensinich upgraded the prop with a fiberglass coating rather than the varnish, and a nickel leading edge and tip. According to them, it solved all the concerns that people had with it in the past. Well, until the Catto props get certified, I decided to give a try and test one out.

After 25 hours of break in with the 76/54 cruise prop I put the W80 on yesterday. I did some static testing of all three props through, and this is what I found. The 76/54 cruise prop static tested at 2350 rpms at full throttle with the tail tied down. I then put the 82/43 club on and got it to run up to 2480 rpms. And finally the Sensenich wood 80/44 prop static tested at 2520 RPMs. I am pretty impressed so far, so I will be running it for the time being and keep you posted on how it holds up. I still plan to get a catto if they ever get certified, but its nice to know that there is another option for those 180+hp cub guys.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

How much larger are the doors???

Supposedly the wood or composite props flex a bit so they kinds act like a flat prop at high rpm and at cruise give more bit at lower rpms. I am not sure that is really true,,, but it makes for a good story. And the benefit of not trashing your engine in case of a prop strike. How much does the W-80 weigh???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    How much larger are the doors???

Supposedly the wood or composite props flex a bit so they kinds act like a flat prop at high rpm and at cruise give more bit at lower rpms. I am not sure that is really true,,, but it makes for a good story. And the benefit of not trashing your engine in case of a prop strike. How much does the W-80 weigh???
    The doors are as large as you can physically make them on a cub without seriously altering the fuselage.

I think there is probably a little truth to the wood prop flex. My cruise speed at 2400 is 102. Pretty fast for a cub with a 44 pitch prop. The W80 is 17 lbs. Half the weight of my cruise prop. Pretty smooth too!

Yes 102 is cooking right along...
    Years ago I tried a laminated wood prop on a PA-12. When the engine quit the prop just stopped like my old model planes from the 70s.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

102! Wow, that is 20mph faster that I usually cruise at. That adds up over long distances, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    102! Wow, that is 20mph faster that I usually cruise at. That adds up over long distances, for sure!
    And that was in zero wind. Airspeed and gps were identical. and at 8.9 gph full rich. After a little more break in and I start leaning it should be pretty impressive...