Thread: Berries are ripe

Default Berries are ripe

The berries are ripe in my neck of the woods. The family went out yesterday and we found some nice patches of plump ripe blueberries. I noticed today that the wild raspberry patch out back is really going to town too. Time to get the jars and canner out and make some jelly and jams.

Anyone else getting out and picking yet?
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Question berries....

What part of Alaska do you live in....SouthCentral, Interior, Brooks, etc? You may be a week or so ahead of Fairbanks.

Default that must mean....

Its time to go bear hunting.

Yep, my daughter started bringing them in a few days before the 4th of July. We have casually picked about 3 quarts, but we haven't really been out to pick yet. Good muffins though!

I can't wait for my favorite cranberries and ligonberries to come on!

The very first week we never find any worms, but after that they come out in abundance. Better to jump on em!

If we could just keep the young'uns from devouring them.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I live north and east of Fairbanks and I believe we have had more hot, dry and sun than most anywhere else in Alaska. Probably why the blueberries are ripe here already. There are still a few green ones, but I like to gather before they get so ripe that they fall off the bush when you even step close enough to start picking!

Cranberries and lingonberries won’t be ripe here for quite some time, unless we get an early frost….hush my mouth and knock on wood.

Better pick those raspberries soon though, they do get wormy real fast, and that ain’t no fun. Were going out tomorrow to get as many of those as we can. Then go back for more blueberries. Got 7 pints of blueberries in jars today and a cup or two of salmonberry jam too. Not bad for a days work.

Know what you mean about the kids and the berries. It really is a good thing though. My problem is the sled dogs that like to come along for the walk. They gobble em up just like a bear. But at least they can lead me to some good patches!

Good luck with the gathering!
    Grandma Lori

Lori,

We have Currants like I've never seen before. We also had a huge crop of wild roses that will turn into rose hips. I wonder what the Elders would say about the big crop of currants and roses? I love the wisdom of those who can predict the coming seasons by animal behavior and plant growth. Raspberries are a ways out down here, and the blueberries are just starting to show signs of maturing.

We also have a bumper crop of rose hips and highbush cranberries this year. Last year there was nothing at all for those. They were missed as I love to make a spicy meat ketchup type sauce with them, but there were just none. Bet the bears missed them too. This year looks really good for all types of berries.

best,
    Lori

It's been a long time since I've gone out to pick berries, but now that I have two young daughters, I'd like to take them out to do some picking. Any tips on a good location to go? I'm located in Fairbanks, and driving 100+ miles isn't an issue if we can get in an area to keep the kids entertained.

Thanks.

Default Murphy Dome

Jerod, the upper reaches of Murphy Dome road out north of Goldstream Valley is a good spot to go berry picking. Not all that far from Fbks and a pretty drive.

Hey everyone, how's the pickin going? I put up more blueberries this year than I can ever remember. It has been two years since the wildfires and the berries are really rebounding back. Sure the plants are small, but the branches are loaded. If you aren't finding too many, might I suggest tromping through an old burn. It worked for me.

Good pickings!
    Grandma Lori

Smile Tummy is a growling!!

You done good Grandma! Those berries look great and I am looking to get some of those myself this weekend. I am down on the peninsula, so I hope I am not too late. I will head up the mountain and see what I can find!
    -Buck

We picked about 2 gallons after work tonight about a mile south of the base of Hatchers Pass. A 30 minute wheeler ride from my house puts us into an untouched 30 acre patch. This year is considerably better than last. We will definitely be making more trips after work this week!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    This year is considerably better than last.
    It seems that way to me as well. Perhaps the good mix of rain/sun of this summer is the cause? Whatever the reason, I ate more blueberries over the past 3 days than I have in years. I was up in the Talkeetna Mountains on Sunday and Monday and was astounded by the number of berries.