Thread: What kind of terrain for tanners?

Default What kind of terrain for tanners?

Eager to try out the new tanner crab season. Not asking for hot spots or anything, but does anyone have any recommendation for depth, structure, etc. to find tanners out of PWS, Homer, or Seward?

Thanks in advance!

Muddy bottoms that are bowl shaped or depressions within a bay in PWS.
    From my experience anyway.
    Also, hanging bait seems to keep them in the pot as they have something to chew on vs a pellet bait in as can they can't access.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

It has been tough going finding crab for us this year so far. We've boated 9 legals and thrown back 10 in 4 days of fishing. Trying different depths. One thing I did notice is that when we were able to avoid the sand fleas, we were able to pick up a few crab. Best pot had 4. We have tried Passage Canal, both north and south Culross passage and out towards Knight.

Well my boat is put up for winter(inboard motor) but if anybody wants to go out of Homer I'm game.
    I have pots,bait, lines and buoys, crab measure, pot puller that mounts on Cannon downrigger mounts,even some good GPS coordinates.
    If you have an open seat I would gladly share some crab fishing knowledge.
    I've done well in this fishery over the years and I know how and where to catch them.
    You might even wind up with a free fishing lure or two.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    It has been tough going finding crab for us this year so far. We've boated 9 legals and thrown back 10 in 4 days of fishing. Trying different depths. One thing I did notice is that when we were able to avoid the sand fleas, we were able to pick up a few crab. Best pot had 4. We have tried Passage Canal, both north and south Culross passage and out towards Knight.
    Out in Kachemak Bay so far this year, weíve pulled 6 times and kept 117 tanners. We release an average of 25-30 crab per pull with over half of the released crab at keeper size or better. All of the pulls so far have bait and crab covered in sand fleas. Iíve fished the same spot for all six pulls.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Out in Kachemak Bay so far this year, weíve pulled 6 times and kept 117 tanners. We release an average of 25-30 crab per pull with over half of the released crab at keeper size or better. All of the pulls so far have bait and crab covered in sand fleas. Iíve fished the same spot for all six pulls.
    Homer is too far for me to drive for crab and only be able to keep 3 per day. What depths are you fishing? Obviously different area but I've tried everything from 325-600 with little consistency on crab.

Homer is too far for me to drive for crab and only be able to keep 3 per day. What depths are you fishing? Obviously different area but I've tried everything from 325-600 with little consistency on crab.
    The best thing you can do is find a 500+ foot mud hole and come up out of it to about 450-410 and drop your pot there.

The best thing you can do is find a 500+ foot mud hole and come up out of it to about 450-410 and drop your pot there.
    I've done that on three sets so far with little success. I'm assuming the sand fleas are eating my bait too fast or I need to bait more heavily.

I've done that on three sets so far with little success. I'm assuming the sand fleas are eating my bait too fast or I need to bait more heavily.
    Yeah Iíve been fishing just a couple hundred yards from other pots who are getting little to no crab while Iím getting 50+ per pull. I bait my pot with an excessive amount of bait and they havenít been.

Would you recommend the same type of setup for PWS ? The excessive bait part is going to be tough for me....but I do have some bison tallow and trimmngs and a couple sockeye carcasses.

That should bring the fishers in droves!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Would you recommend the same type of setup for PWS ? The excessive bait part is going to be tough for me....but I do have some bison tallow and trimmngs and a couple sockeye carcasses.
    Yeah the bait is a non issue for me. I froze a ton of salmon carcasses this summer and the feeder king carcasses are keeping me in fresh ones.