Thread: S&W M329PD-who has one...what do you think?

Question S&W M329PD-who has one...what do you think?

I've been using a S&W M396 for about 10 years - with stiff loads...250gr. hardcast @ 970fps.... Thinking about upgrading to M329. The only changes I would make are M500 grips, action job and magnaport. I think it would be a 44mag I be willing to wear in the woods...unlike my 629 Mountain Gun, that seems to pull my pants down and, so, gets left in the truck. (I can't abide shoulder holsters.)

Anybody here have experience with M329?

I owned one. It is very light, easily packed, the snap in the recoil is terrible and I sold it.
    I find my S&W 500 (4in and 6 1/2in) or 460 6 1/2 inc versions much easier to shoot.
    Tennessee

Default pull pants down

I have the same problem with a different weapon. I used suspenders and have not had a problem since.

I have one and I do love the weight! problem is I still end up not carring it half of the time Recoil is stiff with 300 gr. federal hardcasts. I have only shot about 100 rounds through it. I haven't developed a flinch but I limit myself to 25 rounds at a time.

Jake

Default M329

CZ_IN_AK....

Have you thought about replacing the grips with the S&W M500 grips (about $30)....I understand that they fit perfectly and help alot. Magnaporting, which I had done to a 338 and a 330 Dakota, helps quite a bit with muzzle jump on rifles, and, I think, should be the ticket for lessening the extremely quick muzzle jump.

My M396...18 oz 44spl when fired with heavy loads....Buffalo Bore's 250gr hardcast@ 970fps in my 3" barrel, has an extreme muzzle jump/recoil, but, due to the light weight, less momentum, so it seems to get back on target controllably. I considered magnaporting it, but got used to it, and now am comfortable with it. The 300grn loads in the M329, might be a real good place for magnaporting....should greatly reduce the muzzle rise.

On my 330Dak, which - to me - seemed to have excessive muzzle rise, Magnaporting worked wonders....I can now spot my own shots through the scope - impossible before. I don't think it reduces recoil, but it's an effective antidote to muzzle jump. If I can find a deal on a M329, think I'm going to buy one. I'd like to try it Magnaported.

Check out this article on Bowen Classic Arms website on the M329

http://bowenclassicarms.com/AmHgunAnn05.pdf

Most purists don't like the idea of drilling holes in barrels...but I not a purist...I'm a pragmatist...if it works, I like it. For a woods carry gun, the M329 should, for me, be about perfect.

Isn't the 329 ported from the factory?
    Mike
    So many barrels, some have holes, some don't - I'm quite confused :-)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default S&w M329

The standard M329PD doesn't come ported and the Performance Center doesn't do it, although they might have it done for you by Maganaport if you ask.

Default Go for it

The weapon with the changes you have indicated make it a *****-cat to shoot and they're wonderful to pack.
    Good Luck
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Thumbs up

I have a 329 and couldn't be happier. With the right holster you hardly I hardly even know it's there. The amount of recoil is really load specific, at least that has been my experience. I shoot the Hornady 300 JSP and also the Alaskan Backpacker in 300 and have shot the 320 gr. Recoil is stiff but not brutal. That can't be said about the Buffaloe Bore 255 reduced recoil. OUCH!!! This makes sense in away as a heavier bullet needs a slower burning powder. Also the 640 ( 357 scandium ) you are limited to nothing lighter than 129 gr bullets. Bottom line I have it, Love it, and don't go to the woods without it.

Thumbs up

I have a 329 and couldn't be happier. With the right holster you hardly I hardly even know it's there. The amount of recoil is really load specific, at least that has been my experience. I shoot the Hornady 300 JSP and also the Alaskan Backpacker in 300 and have shot the 320 gr. Recoil is stiff but not brutal. That can't be said about the Buffaloe Bore 255 reduced recoil. OUCH!!! This makes sense in away as a heavier bullet needs a slower burning powder. Also the 640 ( 357 scandium ) you are limited to nothing lighter than 129 gr bullets. Bottom line I have it, Love it, and don't go to the woods without it. Oh you should contact S&W about magnaporting as the barrel is in a shroud that if removed by anyone other than S&W voids the warranty.

Default magnaporting

S&W's Performance Center has a long established relationship with Magnaport. The PC told me some years ago that I could have my M396 magnaportted without voiding the warrantee, but I'd check with S&W PC before doing it.