Thread: Waders/Hip boots

Default Waders/Hip boots

Good morning.

I am preparing my gear for the upcoming moose hunt during which I will be floating for about 2 weeks on a cataraft. I have read many good comments re: using breathable waders on float hunting scenario.

I had posted the following question on Outdoor Gear forum without any reply...let me try it here for your input:

1. I have a set of breathable waders by "Sterns" that has integrated boots. Would you rather recommend the other type w/ neoprene stocking foot waders w/ separate boots? If so, what would be the advantage of the latter and what brand/model would you recommend?

2. Would you recommend packing a pair of hip boots as a back up? If so, what brand/model would you recommend?

Thank you for your time in advance and I wish you a good weekend.

Regards,

yhc

Default advantage

The advantage of the seperate boot over the neoprene sock section of the chest wader is light weight. you also have versatility with the style of boot you want for the conditions. for example I use felt bottom boots for fishing in streams and rivers as they stick to slippery rocks like glue but i also have a pair of rubber sole boots for duck hunting because the felt isboarderline dangerous to walk in in the mud. As far as brand goes I always look for extra material in the knees and crotch because these always seem to be the first place to leak unless you stab yourself with a hook or something.
    I don't use hip boots much so i wouldn't be the guy to ask about those.
    Justin
    Justin

I think I would recommend getting a pair of stocking foot waders, then go out and traipse around in them (with shoes on of course) and see how you like them. I mean traipse around for a couple hours, like if you were hunting. Then do the same thing with the boot foot waders. See which one you would rather spend all day in. My guess is the stocking foot wader will win hands down.
    I never did like hip boots, and now that I own something different, I dislike the hippers even more.
    If your worried about a back up..........hodgeman makes hip length breatheables, stocking foot, that are really light.
    So far, my experience says the neoprene stocking if the weak link in the stocking foot waders. I'm thinking some shoe goo would help take care of small punctures, tears in that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default cabela's

I got waist-high "pant boots" from Cabela's several years ago and really like them. Integral boots, Dry Plus material (their gore-tex, anyway). Much more usable than regular hip boots and I can get out of them to pee without undressing. Great for paddlling; no wet butt. The only thing I don't like is that they are noisey. Seem pretty tough, too. The neos have the advantage of changing boots, a good point that was made, but I once forgot my boots and was sort of screwed. Good luck. j

Default Neoprene

If you are going to be hunting/hiking in the same boots, you probably want to shy away from neoprene. I have used neoprene chest waders as well as the neoprene hip boots (which I have now for fishing). I used the hip boots this spring on a PWS bear hunt (mistake!). They do not hold up well to any kind of brush busting! Now I have SEVERAL Aquaseal patches holding the things together not to mention how hot they got after hiking a mile or two! My father in law swears by the Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots (rubber).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hippers or Waders for float hunting

YHC,

I think bringing a pair of hip boots for backup is an excellent idea. Here are the brands of hippers and breathables I would suggest and why:

1. Hip Boots: Go with Lacrosse ankle-fit hip boots. If you're hunting after the middle of September get the insulated ones. Before mid-September go with non-insulated. Lacrosse boots are tough and quiet in the woods. Be careful when you hike in the woods in them, as branches that snap back on you can slap on the smooth rubber waders. This may startle game.

2. Breathable Chest Waders: I use Orvis waders with a neoprene stocking foot, but there are other brands as good. The feet seem to be the part of the waders most prone to leaks, so bring some Aqua-seal with you. I like the sock foot because it gives me lots of choices for wading shoes. You might consider Korkers Convertable Wading Shoes for your footwear. Korkers allow you to swap out felt soles, lug soles, even hobnails. You don't have to change the boot; just the soles. This means you can carry a set of soles in your pack, to adjust to changing conditions. The negatives are that the waders are somewhat fragile. It's easy to rip them. As was suggested, get the ones with extra material in the seat area and the knees. They're also noisy in the brush. There's not a lot you can do about this, besides sitting on a stand or keeping to areas with less brush. Both of those options will really limit your hunting. You could consider wearing the waders on the river and changing out to hip boots when you hike around.

Hope this helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default boots

One thing you want to think about is wet feet. The nice thing about seperate boots is you can turn your waders inside-out for drying, that is difficult with the boots attached. No matter how careful you are you will probably get wet feet. Just a thought. Jim

Default Breathable

By all means, go with a breathable waider. They work great! You don't have to worry about where you sit down, if it's wet or not and you can leave your rain pants at home. And when you get ready to charge after your animal, you don't have to worry about creek crossings. I would recommend waist high waiders, high enough for your creek crossings, keeps your butt dry and easy to pull down when you need to do your business.

I used breathable's on my moose hunt and later on a bear hunt and they worked great. I had LL Bean waist high waiders and used a Simms Aqua Stealth boot. This boot does not have a felt bottom (you don't want to hike around on the tundra in a felt bottom boot) but has more of a "shoe" sole and get's great traction.

Here's a post of mine from another forum with the same question.

I've spent most of my adult life in waders and hip boots. I'm forty now (holy cr_p!!) and I have always used stocking foot waders with boots. Really the only way to go, especially if you are doing any type of walking. The only time I even consider traditional waders if I am winter steelhead fishing and the temperatures are below freezing. Nine years ago I made the switch to neoprene. They are great, tough, warm and comfortable... as long as the temperatures are cooler. You can work up a sweat wlking in them, especially if they are the 5mm, and not the 2.5-3mm thickness versions. Four years ago I made the switch to Gortex.... a gift from my wife for my B-Day. Only thing I can say is, wish I would have switched sooner. These are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They are great for walking and wading all day long. Never work up a sweat. And even warmer than the neoprene if you layer your under garments right. Only thing I can see as being and issue are two fold. 1) Might be a little noisy, sort of like wearing a wet windbreaker making that swooshing sound. Although this may not be that bad considering the rubber makes some noise as well. 2) The only real issue is making sure you don't puncture then. The neoprense come in an ambush clith covered version which is like wearing iron. Just make sure to buy a quality pair. My Simms G3s (gortex) are double layered in the front of the legs and the seat. I've been pretty tough on them and never punctured them yet. I just jinxed myself... Just carry a repair kit and you should be all set. I'm planning on using then on my moose hunt in AK this fall. I would probably recommend a set of waist high waders as opposed to hip boots. For one thing, they'll keep your arse dry and you can ditch the rain pants. No matter how carful you are, eventually you end up sitting in wet spot. Send me a PM or email if you need some advise on what you should by and who make quality stuff. I live for this shiot!!!! Good luck.

F2T