Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai update?

Default Kenai update?

Just wondering if the second red run has hit the river yet, going down there this weedend to fight the crowds,

No, they have not hit in any good numbers yet...not to say it couldn't pick up any time, but right now it's pretty slow.

Default That 10-12 day window is here!

The first major push of reds came in with the morning's 20 ft tide. The next few days could be phenomenal. Let the games begin!

They're here....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc is right. I came through beaver creek at 3:30 and all of the fishermen on the bank had fish and there were three on at a time. Looks like it has finally started.

Default 2 x 2 x 2

Sockeye are definitely here, and given the performance of the drift fleet in the last two openers, there's a pile of 'em in the Inlet. The setnets should do very well for tomorrow's opener if fish continue to storm the beach... so should the in-river dippers and flippers!

To give folks an example of the volume of fish staging for the big surge, the drifters once again nearly doubled their cumulative catch in just one day.... 194K reds taken last Thur, bumping their season total to 414K.

Then on Monday's regular opener, the drifters again scored big time with a one day total of 467K... more than doubling their cumulative catch to 886K with just one fishing period!

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...catchxarea.php
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

AS far as dipnetting goes is the big push only one day or will it be good fri morning ?

Dude... as far as a major push of fish on the Kenai goes, it lasts longer than a day!

We've had years where a quarter million fish swim by the sonar in 3-4 days...

and that's after getting by the nylon death curtains on the beach, the hordes of dippers below the Kenai bridge, and the legions wielding rod and reel perfecting their flip-N-rip technique along all the open banks from Beaver Creek on up to the counter at RM19.
    The KeenEye MD

If that's so, I'm assuming the lower kenai should be great for bank fishing this weekend, correct? Where should I head? Is it too early for the russian/kenai confluence?

Centennial park is a good place to fish for reds. There is a good bank spot on the main river across from Beaver Creek, but you need a boat. Swiftwater park is also good above the Soldotna bridge.

Default kenai reds

there was a few reds caught at mosse medows today but no major numbers yet

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Then on Monday's regular opener, the drifters again scored big time with a one day total of 467K... more than doubling their cumulative catch to 886K with just one fishing period!

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...catchxarea.php
    Here's the press confirmation... exceprt from today's Clarion:

Schouweiler and the dock workers are gearing up for today's big delivery, which promises to be another big day for driftnetters. If the numbers of fish caught on Monday didn't break records, officials with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game are predicting today's will.
    "They didn't break the record, but they came pretty close," said Jeff Fox, commercial fish manager for Fish and Game. "That's the second highest ever. They may break it (today)."
    Fox said the record number of fish caught by commercial driftnetters in Cook Inlet is 1,200 sockeyes per boat. The last time commercial drift netters hauled in a record-breaking catch was in 1988, when the number was 1,240 per boat.
    Sean Crosby, one of five co-owners of Kenai River Seafoods, said Monday's catch was the biggest his plant's seen in its two years of operation. As of Wednesday afternoon, his employees were processing the last 5,000 pounds of Monday's catch, and will be ready when Thursday's comes in.
    "We processed close to 100,000 pounds and we have about 12 guys," Crosby said. He pointed to the assembly line where employees brought the fish in the plant, decapitated, gutted and trimmed them for shipping to points all over the world. "We're storing ice up right now for (Thursday's) opener so the fish can be chilled until they're ready to be processed," he said.
    The KeenEye MD

fishing was good for sockeye yesterday, but it seems like someone closed the floodgates cause they stopped coming today.... probably just a momentary pause.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Took my son and met up with one of my buddies Friday evening down at Bings hoping we'd hit the 43K slug. BINGO! I'll let you guys use your imagination on what happened in the next few hours.....Madness!! LOTS OF FISH & LOTS OF PEOPLE! Things started to taper off when we left at midnight. It'll probably be dead Saturday Afternoon.

Default from another site...

9 A.M. SATURDAY MORNING UPDATE: All commercial fishing nets go in the water at 11 A.M. Saturday and fish continuous until MIDNIGHT Saturday. This includes all beach sites and drift boats. Impact on the river may begin in early afternoon. Dead calm weather, fish will be running shallow in saltwater and probably get hammered big time by the commfish guys. So dippers may see a significant drop in incoming fish for Saturday evening. Ya Gotta Do It Anyway!

Clearly done in utter disregard of the "weekend windows"... anyone know if/how this happened?
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    ... anyone know if/how this happened?
    Never mind, it's real. Here's the official release:

2007 Upper Cook Inlet Salmon Fishery News Release #15

UCI Commercial Fishery Announcement No. 15 - Upper Subdistrict Set Gillnet and Full Corridor Drift Gillnet Opening
    Districts Affected: Full Corridor Drift, Upper Subdistrict Set

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 15 opens set gillnetting in the Kenai, Kasilof and East Forelands Sections of the Upper Subdistrict from 11:00 a.m. until 12:00 midnight on Saturday, July 21, 2007.

Drift gillnetting will be open in the Kenai and Kasilof sections of the Upper Subdistrict from 11:00 a.m. until 12:00 midnight on Saturday, July 21, 2007.

The estimated sockeye salmon escapement into the Kasilof River for Friday, July 20 was 8,100 for a season total of 151,000.

The estimated sockeye salmon escapement into the Kenai River for Friday, July 20 was 17,000 for a season total also of 151,000. The daily escapement for July 21 in the Kenai River is expected to increase.

Not much of an explanation to justify the action... what gives?
    The KeenEye MD

Default Policy shift?

Doc,

Not sure if this signals a shift in policy, which I assume this is the part of the post your asking if happened. I was out there all day from 8AM till 11PM yesterday - looked like about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the drift fleet went for this EO.

If your post was asking if the dippers took a significant hit, I'd say no - lots of fish throughout both floods and the ebb while I was out there - not screaming hot like some peak days I've seen in the past, but pretty good. Crowds really thinned out on the evening flood, but there were still lots of jumpers.

Total zoo during the midday ebb, bring a big boat.

Default Commercial EO

My son works on a drift boat in Cook Inlet. They did not go out to fish the EO, as well as many, if not most, others, because the processors are over run with fish from last week and were not buying. The fact that the nets were not in the water was very evident in the fishing of the afternoon tide with many sockeye entering the river and great fishing success as well as kings and king fishing success.

The rumor is a very large school of fish staging in cook inlet, as one commercial fisherman put it, "the likes that I haven't seen in 35 years." So, I suspect that the fisheries managers were trying to increase the harvest of this "ball of fish" before it innundates the river system. However, I really cannot say for sure. All I know is that the fishing was very good in the afternoon yesterday.

Default Another commercial EO in 2 hours

Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 16...

opens set gillnetting in the Kenai, Kasilof and East Forelands Sections of the Upper Subdistrict from 3:00 p.m. until 12:00 midnight on Sunday, July 22, 2007.
    The KeenEye MD

I fished centennial for a few hours friday night; it was dead. Fished Bing's from 5 am until 10 am and again at around 2 pm. I wouldn't say it was hot, but people were doing well there, some limiting quickly, others a bit longer (took me a few hours).

Didn't fish above Skilak, but I heard it is still dead.

What happend to the windows?

All I can say is they better make escapement with all these EO's.

How many fish are going to waste right now if they are not being bought? I bet the fish are mushy and bruised waiting in the fish holds! I would bet a bunch will be dumped if they are not being bought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast