Thread: Where and how much for a PLB?

Question Where and how much for a PLB?

In lieu of all the hunting threads regarding solo and partner-solo hunting I just thought I'd find out a little more info on PLBs. I don't know much about these and I was wondering where they can be picked up, how much they cost and how effective they are.

Tim

they got them at Beaver sports in fairbanks, they also must be registered when purchased, they run about $699.00 ....K

Default ACR Terrafix

I got an ACR Terrafix w/gps from Cabelas. It was $699 I think but had a $50 or $100 rebate at the time. I got it for my float trips. Went on the Kugururok in NW Alaska (about 90 miles north of Kotz) and having it along definately offered some peace of mind. They are very impressive. They are registered when you buy them and it has the info on you, your health problems if any, etc... You just push two buttons if you have any trouble and the signal is sent to command who calls the calvary in. A blackhawk helicopter in most parts of Alaska I am told. Nice to have as a back up for worst case scenario stuff. It is better than a sat phone in my opinion because it works anywhere in the world. Sat phones work in some places better than others. I dont want to rely on that if my life is at stake. They are waterproof and very rugged devices. Not too big or heavy though. It has a 5 or 10 year battery that you send to the factory to have replaced when needed and has a self test mode also. Throw it in a pelican case or a storage bag and put it in the bottom of your pack and forget about it. Unless you need it. Nice to have and my life is definately worth $700.

Eagle enterprise sells them. they are on international airport road (just east of arctic ave). They used to sell the mini B's for around $300. I havent looked into it for a few years so not sure what they have now.

They have alot of cool survival equipment, stop in and talk to them. Or swing by Learn to return on dowling (in the s-curve area of dowling) they can give you more than enough info on PLB's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-540-ACR-Terr...QQcmdZViewItem

No, it's not mine, and no, I don't know anything about the seller.

I like the idea of the PLB's also. What is the story with the new frequency that I have heard talk of. If I buy one now, will it be obsolete when the new digital frequency comes on line and when is it coming (thats the story from our neck of the woods), I have heard talk of Jan 09 for the changeover here
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default ACR Aero FIX w/GPS

I have a new one bought for airplane but I put a permanent one in. Pd $699 w/$50 rebate. Sell for $500 firm. Battery good till 2011. Floats, bright green, only difference between unit models is color, . Look them up & send me an email located in Alaska.

akflyer@clearwire.net