Thread: "Show" Tan vs Regular

Default "Show" Tan vs Regular

I finally killed an XL brown bear and am weighing whether to life-size it. My house is currently slam full of taxidermy, but I will be retiring in a year or so and will have plenty of room in a new house. A buddy suggested that if I'm going to wait to have it life-sized, I should get it "show" tanned rather than a regular tan. I have no idea what the diff is, but it is likely that I will have it tanned and not get it mounted for a year or two. What do the experts have to say about this???

I have no idea what a "show tan" is. However, I suggest you get with your preferred taxidermist and work out the specifics. Each taxidermist has a favorite tannery and tanning process. You should also be able to work out the timeline as well. Many busy taxidermists can easily take over a year to complete a full body bear mount with habitat anyway. It may be ready about the time your new house is ready for move-in. I don't recommend just getting it tanned and kept laying around prior to mounting, as some tans can be subject to "acid rot" over time and the leather degrades. Also, your taxidermist will be able to produce a much better mount if working with a freshly-tanned hide vs. one that is an old tan that has lost its "stretch". Congrats.

Thank you for the reply.