Thread: Airboat hunting the Porcupine & Teshekpuk caribou herds

Supporting Member

Default Airboat hunting the Porcupine & Teshekpuk caribou herds

With the numbers being down on the Central Arctic caribou herd I am looking for other options on the north slope to take my 17' airboat.
    Has anyone got any information that they would share in regards to caribou hunting with an airboat on any of the rivers other than the Sag or Ivishak?

Since the rivers generally run South-North on the Northern Plains, how do you propose to get into other drainages? You would have to get into the Arctic Ocean to access other drainages on the North Slope...People use airplanes on the Slope for good reason...

Supporting Member

I prefer a boat over a plane if possible. Nothing against planes, I'm not a pilot.
    A friend of mine had heard that some of the airboaters were launching on the Sag and running the ocean to get to some of the other rivers. I can see how this would be feasible providing you had calm seas.
    I was trying to find out if he was right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by frwthrfshrmn View Post
    I prefer a boat over a plane if possible. Nothing against planes, I'm not a pilot.
    A friend of mine had heard that some of the airboaters were launching on the Sag and running the ocean to get to some of the other rivers. I can see how this would be feasible providing you had calm seas.
    I was trying to find out if he was right or not.
    Last week, while Haul Road hunting we went into Deadhorse to get fuel. On the way out of town there was a group of hunters on an airboaters on the Sag looking like they were headed south. I'm told there are like three or four channels of the Sag heading out into the ocean...not sure which is best to take. Once out in the ocean there are numerous sandbars that are like highways for the polar bears to travel on while hunting seals.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather