Thread: hall road caribou?

Default hall road caribou?

thanks for all the information about the hunt. i seem to have talked one of my buddies into doing the 5 mile walk-in with me. i had a couple more questions that maybe some of yall could help me with. are there any trail heads, or any land markers that i need to be looking for to do the walk-in hunt? any recomendations on where to start the 5 mile journey, or are there areas where we need to concentrate on?

thanks for all the help guys
    greatly appreciated
    texhunter

i will probubly be regreting this after the fact but i am going to try it anyway

sorry about all the questions and i appreciate all the info. but does anyone know how much snow is on the haul road if any around mid august.

i know it changes yearly, but iam just trying to get an idea about the hunt.

greatly appreciated
    texhunter

Typically no snow in mid-August, but that can change overnight. Literally. The weather up there is not to be taken lightly. You could see anything from 20-70 degrees, so prepare accordingly. As for trailheads, there are none. There are no trails. You'll be walking across tundra composed of little "ankle roller" hummocks that are too small to really step on but too close together to step between. It is challenging walking, to say the least. Not trying to dissuade you - it's worth it - but it is very, very tough.

As for where to go, I would spend at least a few hours cruising up and down the road and talking to other hunters. Figure out where the general concentrations of animals are, and then pick your spot. If you settle on a spot before you head up the road, you may end up never seeing a caribou. When we were up there in mid-August two years ago there were plenty of caribou in the Happy Valley area, but that can change from year to year.

Good luck!

-Brian

Brian M is dead on. Ask around and find out where the Caribou have been seen. The land up there is very vast and very unforgiving. Another thought is that if you go east off the highway you will have to cross a river and unless you have a raft of some sort it is near impossible. The best thing you can do is bring a GPS. Mark the road in a few spots where you head in and make sure you go 5 miles in, Fish and Game do and have busted people that don't make it the full 5 miles. Good luck

I've had good luck hiking East of the road at the Solid Waste Transfer station which is a few miles North of Galbraith Lake. There is a small parking area for a couple of vehicles at the gate and you can walk the gravel road about a mile before it starts to head North and not really get you much farther from the road. You can also follow the creek just South of the transfer station, but I don't remember the name of it just now.

Kay9 - When did you hunt the Galbraith Lake area? When we were there in mid-August, there were very few animals within 50 miles of Galbraith. It is my understanding that they don't usually make it that far south until late August or September.

Default They were there

The caribou were there last year. We were ther Aug. 7th or so. In the 2-3 days of hunting near there we saw probably 4-5,000 caribou. The bull I took was in a group of maybe 250.
    The first caribou we spotted last year were only 15 miles north of Galbraith.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The caribou were unusually far south for that time of year in '06. We saw several herds from Slope mountain south to Toolik. I shot a bull about half way between those two locations in early August of last year. With all the animals around, I got out in the open next to a small bush by getting way out in front of a big herd. I sat still for quite some time and eventually had animals all around me, including a cow eating within 5 feet of the bush I was in front of. I was in the open, plain as day and shot a bull from 15 yards. It was a bit of a pack out, but well worth it.

Mid August you will probably be north of that on a normal migration year. I'd imagine you will start seeing caribou around pump 2 south to Happy Valley that time of year.

We hiked in from Galbraith Lake last year about 8/10 and took two nice bulls. The large herd was not there but there were plenty of stragglers to choose from. The better bulls were farther off the road. Be ready for a workout on the pack out.