Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Sons first Moose and the tale of Two Freighters.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Definitions vary. Some people call any really big canoe a freighter, for example the 20 foot Mackenzie from Clipper which can haul 1500 pounds but is pointed on both ends and needs a side mount if you take a motor. Many people call any Y or Flat sterned canoe designed to carry a motor a freighter. However, the smallest of these don't haul much. What you want is a big, flat stern or y stern that can carry over 1000 pounds. The smallest of these can be car-topped and portaged, the biggest are ocean going monsters that carry 5000 pounds or more and weigh up to 800 pounds. In between are lots of great sweet spots.

I like the 18 foot Mackenzie Sport, the 19 foot aluminum Grummans and the Esquif Cargo in the car-top category. They will carry two people and a moose without killing you. The Esquif in T-Formex is the way to go for a white water choice. I bought a 17 foot 2nd hand aluminum freighter for 200 American here in Whitehorse and an aluminum canoe is a fun little boat..they occasionally are sold cheap 2nd hand.

Bigger I have a Hudson Bay from Scott. It will carry my whole family and a moose or two but weighs 270 pounds and the fiberglass can get damaged in rough white water travel. Our own Mainer makes some great designs right in Alaska with UHMW armor on the bottom. Pricey and takes some wait time but they look really great, as in best thing out there . He also deals the Copperhead mud-motors.

Where to buy in Alaska? Contact Mainer (above) if you want to look at a home grown product. You can get the Scott and Clipper in Whitehorse, good dollar exchange but long drive. Not sure about Grumman but you must have a dealer.

Just went to the Grumann site. They sell direct to Alaskans. You'd need to ck freight costs.

1-607-849-3211 ext. 25.
    Thanks

I looked at the esquif cargo and Heron, both look like something that will meet my needs especially if they're not too tippy. Have you used either? They dont have prices listed and that can be a sign that they are very expensive...??

I would love one of Mainers but they are too heavy and outside of my price range.

I'm also looking at the Sportspal

I wish Sportspal made a 18 foot canoe. That would be a great fishing boat. I have the Clipper MacSport 18 foot. I used in a couple small lakes and one big one. It's very stable and I'm happy with it. I haven't got to use it a river yet.

I trailer it and use a 4 HP 2 stroke Evenrude or 55 LB thrust electric on it. Both work great.

Chez..I have a friend with a Cargo. They are wide and stable. A bit heavy but with effort can be portaged. They have a bit of Flex so 5HP is the limit. They can take a moose and two men with enough free board not to kill you, though in rough water you'll have some pucker factor.

freighter canoes
    the displacement footprint and design of the watercrafts portion that spends time actually in or under the water line.
    would usually lend itself to what type of hull. Interesting that canoes do have several variations of hull designs.
    albiet, almost all canoes could be called freighter, because of the intrinsic ablility to carry huge loads..
    I said almost... all canoes..
    Years ago I had a canoe made in Whitehorse that was a 15 ft square stern canoe with 40 inch wide ... If you have ever seen a few of the old cnaoes around called Valhalla,, I had several made for some years and would make a few trips each year to whitehorse to pick up a load of 10 at a time.
    they made me several different style canoes from about 7 molds they had... all fiberglass and made to work well in canada and alaska .
    that 15 foot canoe was just a great boat..
    and even though pretty short.. it was a beast for hauling freight...
    so I would even call that little guy a freighter,, or maybe a freightet..
    lets suppose that maybe a standard freighter should be able to carry " X" lbs of stuff and do it well,,???
    what do you guys think?
    is it the hull design,
    the transom ?
    the length?
    or how much it can carry?
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Personally I would think how much "freight" it can carry.......ie: the term being used to describe it in the first place.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I would think how much "freight" it can carry.......ie: the term being used to describe it in the first place.....
    Thats interesting because that was my second thought when I heard about freight canoes, the first was stability with a heavy load which is why I was drawn to them

One of the freighters I have is the old Gruman 19,
    Its great with a motor, and useless for me to consider as a paddle canoe.
    I have paddled the canoe before, and they just are not moving thru the water easy enough for me.
    and because they are wide, you have to move to the side you are going to paddle every switch , or you reach out , and then your wasting your paddle stroke.
    I mounted some oar locks on mine because its just so much easier and faster.
    Because I live here on the kenai peninsula , Freighter canoes are not really a great watercraft of choice for me. I can see using it on interior and have done that before. One time I used a freighter canoe for a week over in the Wood Tichik lakes going from lake to lake thru the system,, worked really really good for that ..
    Aluminum is so strong and works great for motors. I think I would Glovit the bottom of my aluminum canoe if I were to use it for a long trip and wanted the drag reduced a whole bunch...
    The fiberglass boats made by Mainer with the tough bottom is probably the premier idea for Alaska and Canada.
    I thought this was a fantastic idea. and his videos and reports of toughness are what I expect.
    His boat should glide along easier than aluminum and be much quieter.
    The surface drive or long tail motor is a boon for these shallow runners and all around freighter use.
    Years ago I brought a james Town freighter boat from Canada to Alaska and used it for a while, It was a little wet when under higher speeds, and A Guy from cordova wanted it so it has been used in the salt over there for some years. It had a 20 hp honda on it. It was not really a canoe at all but a cross over ,, a canoe/boat.
    The Hudson Bay size would probably have been about as big of a freighter canoe as I would have wanted.
    if money were not an issue for the cost of favorite canoes, I would pick the freighter mainer builds with a surface drive motor and then for my dream paddling canoe it would be a 45 lb 16 foot kevlar Wenonah with tumbletome straight flat for lakes.. for portage and paddle speed. I am not interested in white water canoe anymore... to many years on me now.
    those two boats set up would be a very wonderful life time investment.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    One of the freighters I have is the old Gruman 19,
    Its great with a motor, and useless for me to consider as a paddle canoe.
    I have paddled the canoe before, and they just are not moving thru the water easy enough for me.
    and because they are wide, you have to move to the side you are going to paddle every switch , or you reach out , and then your wasting your paddle stroke.
    I mounted some oar locks on mine because its just so much easier and faster.
    Because I live here on the kenai peninsula , Freighter canoes are not really a great watercraft of choice for me. I can see using it on interior and have done that before. One time I used a freighter canoe for a week over in the Wood Tichik lakes going from lake to lake thru the system,, worked really really good for that ..
    Aluminum is so strong and works great for motors. I think I would Glovit the bottom of my aluminum canoe if I were to use it for a long trip and wanted the drag reduced a whole bunch...
    The fiberglass boats made by Mainer with the tough bottom is probably the premier idea for Alaska and Canada.
    I thought this was a fantastic idea. and his videos and reports of toughness are what I expect.
    His boat should glide along easier than aluminum and be much quieter.
    The surface drive or long tail motor is a boon for these shallow runners and all around freighter use.
    Years ago I brought a james Town freighter boat from Canada to Alaska and used it for a while, It was a little wet when under higher speeds, and A Guy from cordova wanted it so it has been used in the salt over there for some years. It had a 20 hp honda on it. It was not really a canoe at all but a cross over ,, a canoe/boat.
    The Hudson Bay size would probably have been about as big of a freighter canoe as I would have wanted.
    if money were not an issue for the cost of favorite canoes, I would pick the freighter mainer builds with a surface drive motor and then for my dream paddling canoe it would be a 45 lb 16 foot kevlar Wenonah with tumbletome straight flat for lakes.. for portage and paddle speed. I am not interested in white water canoe anymore... to many years on me now.
    those two boats set up would be a very wonderful life time investment.
    I love Mainers canoes but for now the weight and expense prevents me from going that direction.

What factors determine motor size on a canoe?

How much weight the stern can float, beam, capacity, intended use...lack of sanity on the operator's part.

Should be a horsepower rating on the boat, but that's just a starting point. People have been "safely" over powering boats since...I don't know, coffee. I need coffee.

Canoes /freighters are like guns.....you can't have just one. I would like to own a Grand Laker too...

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    Canoes /freighters are like guns.....you can't have just one. I would like to own a Grand Laker too...

Thank god...I thought it was just me!

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Thank god...I thought it was just me!
    Shouldn't you be putting some time in on the banjo in this weather?😎 The cold snap has given me lots of time to work this one out.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fpKo0v8qE
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12