Thread: Had to Pass...Moose

Default Had to Pass...Moose

have an antlerless permit, but decided before season that if presented with a cow AND a calf present, I would not shoot either. Had just such a situation a few days ago. Cow and her calf came by (along with a non-legal bull, assumed to be her male calf from last year). Watched and took pictures, that's about it. If the cow gets killed by another hunter with a tag, I will watch for the calf. If the calf gets hit by a car, I will watch for the cow. Anyway, it was neat to see the three moose together.

Good on you. You made the right decision in my book. Had the 415 moose permit last winter, didn't want to shoot in the same situation either if given the option. However by then the calf would most likely have been fine. Luckily got a single cow.

I know it was a tough call, but it was the right one to make! Keep an eye open, you will find a barren cow yet!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I know it was a tough call, but it was the right one to make! Keep an eye open, you will find a barren cow yet!
    barren cow sighted this evening...other side of the lake, 301 yards. Not comfortable that distance with my shotgun. I have a few more days, maybe she will be back!

I do know what you mean....Watched a push and shove battle between two massive rutting brutes on the river bank below us....

The wife and I last week took a two day boat ride through the delta and most of its lakes, sloughs and meadows, and saw 18 good Moose, just no 50+ or 4 tined.....inevitably the antlers would have been tossed , because that how I roll and thats the tag I got ---LOL!!

But now its rut, so they are standing by the river banks, you know 60+ inches Bulls those ''gimme Moose'' you dont have to earn or really hunt for, getting skinny'r each rutting day.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....