Thread: Huskies working in the bush?

Default Huskies working in the bush?

Are there many newer huskies that are used in a working bush environment?

Other than then Federally owned Huskies,,,, I can't think of one...

I have seen a few private ones out there,,, and they do make very good float planes,,,,

But why spend $160,000 (plus) on something that is still the same size as a Super Cub just to haul hunters and meat... Either get two old beater Supercubs,,,, or a nice C-185 for the same money.
    Or a Helio if you really want to yank the thing off some short lakes...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I was just curious. My 100K cub is turning into close to 140k which isn't far off a completely new 180hp huskies that cruises 40% faster. Or like you said two planes.

If you were in the middle of bush Alaska and broke a Husky and your buddy next to you broke a Cub...wanna bet who'd be flying again faster/easier/cheaper? The Cub would. That along with the bigger cargo area and better cargo access tilts the scales regardless of price.

BTW, I know a couple of dozen guys that fly Cubs for-hire. I don't know or know of any Husky drivers in that role. That isn't a statement about Husky aircraft. I'd be happy to fly one, but I'm not for hire. It'd be a play toy.

I considered a Husky for a few days because I live right by the sales guy. But I decided the cub would be a more valuable asset to bring to AK. If I don't stay there permanently, I will just sell the cub and fly back commercially at the end of the season.

Be warned, the Cub market up here is pretty soft at the end of hunting season.

Don't warn him,,,maybe a full time Alaskan will get a good deal..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Advantages of a Husky

Now boys, ya have to give them Huskies credit where credit is due. They are faster then a cub. Can only hold about 30% as much, but they are faster. So instead of one trip you can make three and get in more landing and take off practice. Then you must remember how small the baggage compartment is, so you dont have to lift all those large items up into an airplane, because they won't fit. And when you do get a little load packed up, it flys fast....oh yes, I said that.

Now as for the cub....
    • you can find spare parts in any village and usually no ones going to ask why you need them.
    • You can burn auto gas in the 150 hp craft (important with 100LL what it is now, and its not being available in many villages anyway)
    • They carry lots more
    • Cost lots less
    • Have way more modifications to make them functional
    Im sure there is more.... guess I will stick with the cub for down and dirty field work.

Dan Sailors does fly a Husky commercially and does a great job with it, but that does not make the loads any larger

Quote Originally Posted by supercub driver View Post
    Now boys, ya have to give them Huskies credit where credit is due. They are faster then a cub. Can only hold about 30% as much, but they are faster. So instead of one trip you can make three and get in more landing and take off practice. Then you must remember how small the baggage compartment is, so you dont have to lift all those large items up into an airplane, because they won't fit. And when you do get a little load packed up, it flys fast....oh yes, I said that.

Now as for the cub....
    • you can find spare parts in any village and usually no ones going to ask why you need them.
    • You can burn auto gas in the 150 hp craft (important with 100LL what it is now, and its not being available in many villages anyway)
    • They carry lots more
    • Cost lots less
    • Have way more modifications to make them functional
    Im sure there is more.... guess I will stick with the cub for down and dirty field work.

Dan Sailors does fly a Husky commercially and does a great job with it, but that does not make the loads any larger

Don't forget - being able to toss the tail of a cub around, say on a beach, BY YOURSELF!!! We have neighbors at our place in Florida that tried to tell us that their Husky is a better bush plane than a Cub. We walked over to their hangar and I asked the guy, a pretty fit guy, to pick up the tail and turn the plane around 180* by himself...he couldn't. The topic changed pretty quick after that. Husky's sure are nice looking though.