Thread: Widow claims aircraft upgrades played a role in husband's death

Default Widow claims aircraft upgrades played a role in husband's death

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/In-...444065463.html

This could be a interesting case, if it went to trial. These things nearly always settle out of court.

I seem to remember that frost or fresh snow was at least a contributing factor.

Lawyers are involved so the truth will fly out the window. Maybe it had something to do with attempting a water take-offf in total darkness,,,
    The guy who died were pretty old and went while doing something they liked doing... We should all be so lucky...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The guy who died were pretty old and went while doing something they liked doing... We should all be so lucky...
    I hope to spend my final week at the "Mustang Ranch" doing something I like......

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I hope to spend my final week at the "Mustang Ranch" doing something I like......
    We should all be so lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Lawyers are involved so the truth will fly out the window. Maybe it had something to do with attempting a water take-offf in total darkness...
    That, and the fact that the guy doing the weigh in said he "guestimated"....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It's pretty obvious the pilot failed to fly the airplane. You need to be on the instruments when taking off in the dark. The pilot doesn't have any money to be worth suing for though, so, you need to find something wrong with the plane, to get to the deep pockets...

The pilot doesn't have any money to be worth suing for though, so, you need to find something wrong with the plane, to get to the deep pockets...
    Egg-friggin-xactly...

Thoughts:

1) Not all lawyers are averse to the truth..some actually try to find it and deal with it;

1.a. I suspect that probably doesn't apply to the ones pushing this suit;

2) Typical ambulance chaser tactics: throw all sorts of schtuff on the wall and see what sticks while naming any potential deep pocket, no matter how far removed from the nexus of what actually caused the crash;

3) Will in all likelihood settle well in advance of trial; litigation likely to be directed by insurance counsel

4) Expect to see prices increase on the relevant modifications (at best).....
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    4) Expect to see prices increase on the relevant modifications (at best).....
    Frivolous lawsuits like this one, are why everything in aviation costs so much! The most well designed aircraft ever built, can still crash, if the pilot does something wrong or stupid, and that's NOT the plane's fault.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

1) Not all lawyers are averse to the truth.
    You probably should have included an occupational disclaimer.....

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Frivolous lawsuits like this one, are why everything in aviation costs so much! The most well designed aircraft ever built, can still crash, if the pilot does something wrong or stupid, and that's NOT the plane's fault.
    Entirely agree with the above.

In 90% of the situations one runs across, the information published in the news is often quite different (or at least incomplete) from what is filed in court....that being said, I note that the KTUU (?) site mentioned that the plaintiffs were suing two modification shops and one modification designer. Without doing any further research, it appears that the plaintiffs' lawyer has crafted the complaint to carefully avoid the limitations in the Aviation Revitalization Act (IIRC the name) that limits builders and manufacturers' liability after a certain period.

This seems to me a further indicator of settlement bait....but that's just my opinion. Not to be a doomsday person, but I wouldn't be surprised if the modification shops eventually require indemnification agreements with their customers (if they don't already).
    Back in AK

In a shop I was working in got sued for $100,000.00 after the plane crashed and a few people died. Seems we had a lot of ins. Coverage and the lawyers found that we had changed a starter a month before and claim it was partly the cause of the crash. The ins. Company was ready to sign off on it because it was cheaper than fighting the case. My boss refused to allow it and after a couple of years they drop that part of the suit. So it seems both the lawyers and the ins. Company's are both at fault for our crazy situation, wish I had a answer to it all.