Thread: Unimak Question

Default Unimak Question

I'm headed off to Unimak next month for a bear hunt and have a question about water crossings for those of you who have spent time on the island. We'll be doing a lot of hiking and from pictures and videos I've seen it looks to be fairly nice hiking terrain. Maps I've been looking at, however, show many rivers, streams and marshy areas. Just wondering if packing waiders in our packs will be useful or unnecessary? I appreciate any info you guys can provide. Thanks

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I'm headed off to Unimak next month for a bear hunt and have a question about water crossings for those of you who have spent time on the island. We'll be doing a lot of hiking and from pictures and videos I've seen it looks to be fairly nice hiking terrain. Maps I've been looking at, however, show many rivers, streams and marshy areas. Just wondering if packing waiders in our packs will be useful or unnecessary? I appreciate any info you guys can provide. Thanks

-Steve
    Where on the island are you getting dropped? I had the spring tag in 2015. Hunted the Urilla Bay Area. We only crossed one small creek that was right next to our camp. Small water, could cross with some Muck's or other knee highs. We were about 4 miles inland from the beach. Pretty dry just about everywhere besides the aforementioned creek. Closer you got to the beach though it started to get wet. Lots of lagoons.

I'm sure you already know, but I wouldn't think you want to hike around too much being a bear hunt and all. The terrain is wide open for the most part. Get a good spot out of the wind as much as possible and glass. Have good gear and tent. Unimak served me the worst couple nights I've ever spent hunkered down in a tent.
    We saw bears though, one probably the biggest one I've ever seen.

Cool place, almost prehistoric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Johnny. We're still not set on an area yet, working on the packing list now and whether or not stream crossings and wet areas are going to be of enough concern to justify bringing the waders. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Johnny. We're still not set on an area yet, working on the packing list now and whether or not stream crossings and wet areas are going to be of enough concern to justify bringing the waders. Thanks for the input.
    Could always bring a set of those Neo overshoes. Light, and can roll up and go in your pack. You'll have 'em if you need 'um.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bruin View Post
    Could always bring a set of those Neo overshoes. Light, and can roll up and go in your pack. You'll have 'em if you need 'um.

Im looking at them on Amazon right now!

Wiggy's Waders have served me well on many hunts. About $60 and a pair weighs maybe 1.5 lbs?

Charterboat Operator

most of the creeks we have encountered are crossable without waders, the deeper ones are usually jumpable in some place, though closer to the beach, they do get wider. As Johnny said, Neo overboots would be a lightweight option, i had mine there, but never had to use them. we were a mile or so inland. The old lava flows get a little bumpy, but do provide a lot of cover, the rest is really good walking. I never got out of my Lowa's.
    bring a bomb shelter, or a mile of rope to hold ay other tent down, it doesnt hurt to practice cross wind shots. it IS going toe blowing

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    most of the creeks we have encountered are crossable without waders, the deeper ones are usually jumpable in some place, though closer to the beach, they do get wider. As Johnny said, Neo overboots would be a lightweight option, i had mine there, but never had to use them. we were a mile or so inland. The old lava flows get a little bumpy, but do provide a lot of cover, the rest is really good walking. I never got out of my Lowa's.
    bring a bomb shelter, or a mile of rope to hold ay other tent down, it doesnt hurt to practice cross wind shots. it IS going toe blowing
    Yeah, I'm sure the wind out there is going to make for an interesting adventure! I appreciate the info.

CG--I didn't take them when I was out there, but I think I would reconsider if I was going back. As mentioned before, it does frequently rain and blow sideways and breathable waders combined with rain jacket are about the best combo to staying dry as there is an overlap to keep the sideways rain off. Also, you can sit down on a wet tussock and glass without fear of getting your butt wet. You aren't likely to be doing much hiking anyway--just glassing. And you always have the option if/when that bear is out in a swamp or across a creek. My vote is bring em...

'Bender - What area were you in out there? If you don't mind me asking....

Charterboat Operator

Urilla bay to cape lapin.
    I am still thinking I shot the last legal caribou off the island, as it was Septeber 30 in the PM, last day of the season, and it as not been open since!

Urilla bay to cape lapin.
    I am still thinking I shot the last legal caribou off the island, as it was Septeber 30 in the PM, last day of the season, and it as not been open since!
    Wow. Very good chance you did take the last legal caribou from that herd......Been closed about ten years now or so, huh?

Too bad... Wonder how the herd is doing. We saw probably close to 20 of them or so during the ten days we were on the island.

Charterboat Operator

we covered approx 10-15 miles in the days we were there, the number of dead animals was amazing, usually big bulls that were traveling at the back of the herd.