Thread: Unit 16 Caribou?

Default Unit 16 Caribou?

I've just kind of been searching through different hunts and whatnot and was just curious. Are there caribou in unit 16 around Petersville? Is that even an area worth checking out? I've personally never seen them there.

No. There are no caribou in that area. I thought at first seeing that backcountry as well. It looks like good bou country. However, after speaking to locals in the area, the caribou herds range a bit farther north and much farther west. It pays to ask local people in the area. Ken at cache creek cabins was an incredible source of info for that entire area.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    No. There are no caribou in that area. I thought at first seeing that backcountry as well. It looks like good bou country. However, after speaking to locals in the area, the caribou herds range a bit farther north and much farther west. It pays to ask local people in the area. Ken at cache creek cabins was an incredible source of info for that entire area.
    Furthermore, you gotta be cautious as to your whereabouts in that backcountry out of petersville because you can find yourself inside the national park real sudden like

Release Lake Trout

I'm very familiar with the area from many years of mining there, so I know exactly what you mean. I just never thought about looking for 'bou. I've never noticed any because my head is always neck deep in the river looking for gold.

There used to be caribou up there throughout that country. My parents and grandfather mined up there and while my family doesn't mine up there anymore we still go up often. The last caribou my family have seen up there were on Trail Ridge Rd. in 1978. You should read Shem Pete's Alaska, the natives used to hunt caribou from the Peters Hills all the way over to the Yentna and into Rainy Pass and the Alaska Range, and everywhere in between. I think the only caribou now in 16 are the Rainy Pass herd in the Alaska Range. And I don't think there's a lot of them. Having been going to Petersville for my entire life and spending a lot of time up there, and running my boat up the Yentna fairly often over the last few years, I have never seen a caribou in that country. But at one time they did exist.