Thread: Sept 2017 Drop hunt, Cole Hawkins-Hawk Mountain Air

Default Sept 2017 Drop hunt, Cole Hawkins-Hawk Mountain Air

Can't say enough about how impressed we were with Cole Hawkins' operation on this hunt. All his equipment is clean and appears to be well maintained. He knows the area like the back of his hand and flies extremely well but safely. Cole was very accommodating to all our requests and helped us work through some logistical challenges. We will be back to hunt with him again.

This was our second drop hunt. In 2015 we did a moose hunt with another transporter in GMU 18.

Here are some notes from the journal I kept during this hunt. I figured someone else might find them useful:
    -neoprene glassing mat made from old waders was super handy
    -best idea was packing little knife in gun case
    -donít buy return ticket ahead of time, saves on change fee
    -cheap survival blankets were fantastic. Used as tarps and also as ground cover under sleeping pad. (Adventure Medical Kits Sol Survival Blanket, two person pack of 2).
    -sleep system was perfect. Survival blanket, foil up; Big Agnes insulated q core 20 x 72 x 4; fleece blankie; quilt.
    -never put on heavy pants, gloves, or shirt. Or second pair of long johns. Was saving them in case of colder weather.
    -Cabelas ear muff hat was great
    -Garmin Inreach (orange) was great
    -never used solar charger
    -barely used part of one external battery
    -Luci light was great
    -MSR Dragonfly was great, plugged on av gas but was able to clean it and get it going again
    -tipi with stove was great. Need to fix big door zipper though.
    -Chest pack was a fail. Took too long when putting pack on.
    -Legs were pretty good. Training program worked.
    -Arms got tired because I carried the gun all the time. Never used sling. In fact, I took it off after the first day. Should have done more weight lifting to prep arms.
    -logistics day kind of sucky. Wal Mart and Lowes for Tyvek suits, bubble wrap, shrink wrap. Took an hour and a half to organize gear at hangar and get meat boxed.
    -took meat to Lakefront Hotel, Millenium. They had a freezer for game. Should stay there next time.
    -we each checked 6 pieces. $300 per man. This got our luggage, camp gear, guns, 2 full coolers, 2 meat boxes, and antlers (split and wrapped together) on the plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 2nd caribou

deleted one pic above and added one of my partner's animal to satisfy two pics per post.

Looks like an excellent hunt! Those are some fantastic caribou.

I haven't flown with Cole, but talked with him at length a year back about a possible sheep hunt and was nothing but impressed. A friend just got back from a caribou hunt with him as well and spoke very highly of his services and of him as a person. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use him as a transporter.

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good trip!

Cole is top notch. I'd recommend him.

Quote Originally Posted by jwfishak View Post
    Cole is top notch. I'd recommend him.
    I agree. Cole dropped me off for a caribou hunt earlier this month. He works very hard for his hunters and runs a first class operation!

Just got back from a moose hunt with Cole. I'm going to write up a report, but I echo the statements on Cole. I'd use him again in a heartbeat.