Thread: Big Lake Citations/Warnings(Point Mackenzie RLRD EXT) just a heads up

Default Big Lake Citations/Warnings(Point Mackenzie RLRD EXT) just a heads up

Not a big poster here but reader. Just thought I'd give a heads up to some of you guys that got lucky and got cow tags at Big Lake and for those of you looking for Bulls. The Troopers and Railroad employees are issuing tickets for anyone getting caught driving along the Point Mackenzie Railroad Extension. I was lucky enough to get a cow on Friday and was close enough to wave down one of the Railroad employees and get some clarification while she was patrolling the Area. What she told me was that the Troopers and RLRD employees are going to be patrolling the extension everyday now and issuing tickets(I've seen them multiple times out there since last week and she told me they've already issued some warnings). They are re locking all of the gates if they haven't done so already because people keep cutting them. What she did tell me was that skirting the edge of the gravel is perfectly legal although there are a few bridges that go over some creeks so i don't know how you'd get a wheeler past them without crossing the bridges. A trespassing ticket would be enough to ruin a day of hunting for me.

Did you happen to get the Railroad employees name, was she a railroad cop, or just an employee, because I talked to one of the Point Mack port security guys and he told me it was legal to hunt up on top of the road as long as you didn't go beyond the barricades on the one end..
    congrats on the moose!!

I wonder how well a trespassing ticket would hold up in court. Who authorizes the railroad to issue a ticket?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_agent

.......All of the major Class I railroads, most regional carriers, and some local railways employ their own police departments whose officers carry the title special agent. Railroad special agents are commissioned by the governor or other agency of the state they are employed in, are armed, and carry state arrest powers in all states in which their employing railroad owns property, if authorized by the state. Their primary concern is policing crimes against the railroad, although they sometimes have the authority to police the general public, make arrests on public property, and enforce applicable local, state, or federal laws when necessary........

The Alaska Railroad has always had special agents, and trespass issues were always one of their primary concerns. During federal ownership, if issued a citation, you'd be entertaining a federal judge, and it was not a laughing matter. After transfer to the state, I'd imagine you'd be dealing with the state court system (unless it involved interstate crime, which is very possible with the railroad), and Alaska's court system is a freaking joke. But my experience is that the railroad has a way of playing hardball that takes lots of folks by surprise, and they really don't like trespassers.........

This was probably before many of you were born, but I remember it well:

http://classic.alaskastar.com/stories/040209/New_img_new001.shtml

Imagine the blast of nearly 40 tons of dynamite.

At the time there were still concrete ammo bunkers in the Eagle River area from WWII. There were railroad sidings serving them so that ammo could be moved in and out by rail. After the war the Army abandoned them and the railroad used them to store their explosives. These clowns ended that. After that event railroad explosives have been stored in the Ammunition Storage Point on Ft. Rich which has full electronic and manned security. But even after that the Army and Railroad almost managed to blow up downtown Anchorage....... that's another great story......

This is just one of the reasons why railroads are sensitive to trespassers.

Am I missing something?

No rails, no trains, no problem…the railroad to nowhere with no rails…sounds like something straight out of the third world!…and they double down because someone is…"trespassing"...what a joke!

Might as well get some use out of it. A transportation corridor for hunters makes sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    Did you happen to get the Railroad employees name, was she a railroad cop, or just an employee, because I talked to one of the Point Mack port security guys and he told me it was legal to hunt up on top of the road as long as you didn't go beyond the barricades on the one end..
    congrats on the moose!!

I forgot her name already but she was super nice. She probably could have given me a ticket in all reality. She said they were out there because people keep tearing up the gravel with 4 wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Am I missing something?

No rails, no trains, no problem…the railroad to nowhere with no rails…sounds like something straight out of the third world!…and they double down because someone is…"trespassing"...what a joke!

Might as well get some use out of it. A transportation corridor for hunters makes sense to me!
    cant really argue with you on that one unless they're actually planning on finishing this thing in the future

They aren't finishing that any time soon. It is a bit ridiculous to enforce trespassing when there are no trains to hit anything.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne3406 View Post
    I forgot her name already but she was super nice. She probably could have given me a ticket in all reality. She said they were out there because people keep tearing up the gravel with 4 wheelers.
    If she Identified herself as special Agent with the Alaska Railroad then she was impersonating a officer, I talked to the Railroad special agents in Anchorage, and they told me they do not have any females in the dept. They also said they do not patrol that because it is Matsu Borough property not the Alaska Railroads. The state troopers cant legally write a trespassing ticket because its open to the public. They can however write a citation for destruction of property if caught cutting locks or removing or destroying barricades or signs n property.

There are no trains on my property, and I enforce my no trespassing policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    ........The state troopers cant legally write a trespassing ticket because its open to the public. They can however write a citation for destruction of property if caught cutting locks or removing or destroying barricades or signs n property.
    What do these signs say? If it is open to the public, what are the barricades blocking?

Seriously? LOL the Troopers have bigger fish to fry than that plus she was blowing you a line of BS.