Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Bags: Post Hunt

Default Game Bags: Post Hunt

I'm wondering what you guys do with the bloody game bags after you're done with the hunt. I'm sitting here with 8 of 'em, my wife's gone for a few days, and wondering if I can get away with running them thru the washing machine or if she'll get back and find it ruined.

Mine were just fine in the washing machine. I just used a lot of bleach with mine before putting them away till next fall

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yep, wash them cold with bleach, and run it twice.

Or soak them in a cooler with bleach the first time, most of the blood will run out, then hit the washing machine.

I do a rinse in the garage sink first with a little bleach and soap and then a double wash in the washing machine. Second wash with no soap no bleach.

Soak them in salt water soap and bleach to remove the blood, then put them in the washing machine with soap when the wife is not home.

I prewash and soak in laundry room sink to get the majority out. Then throw in washer. Best if wife is not home.

I rinse with the hose, then do a white vinegar and laundry detergent heavy cycle 2x in the washing machine. I don't like to use bleach as it breaks down the fabric and makes them tear easily. If the blood stains on the bags bug you, soak it in hydrogen peroxide or some oxyclean and then dry on high heat.

I use TAG bags. When I get back, I rinse them off in the mud sink in my garage. Then I turn them inside out and do the same. During this process, I'll manually remove any chunks of blood or tissue that I can.

Once that is done, I run them through the washer with just a little detergent and the extra rinse cycle.

Then I'll wash them again.

Then I hang them to dry.

Once I'm done with the machine, I clean it with a packet of washing machine cleaner on the hottest cycle possible.

The washer smells new after this.

My bags have been on quite a few hunts and they still look brand new.

I usually just hand wash mine in a bucket with oxyclean (2 times), then rinse a couple times, then hang dry.

Yup. Soak and then run through the washer a couple of times. You do know how to operate the laundry center, right? LOL. Next, DO NOT TELL HER ABOUT IT!
    Now, about game bags. The best ones, you make yourself from old sheets. Double them up and sew up the 2 sides. Best game bags ever.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Give them to me!!

I have been washing and reusing my game bags for years.

All of the above is true, biggest thing is to pre soak, and then
    turn them inside out and check the seams and take out any tallow, clots and other gunk that will "complicate" the process ..... and your marriage.

We pre-soak the bags, check them for any thing that may have stuck to the bag and in the washing machine they go.

Another plus one for Oxi-Clean. Put them through a couple cycles in the washer and you'll be good to go. And depending on your lady, you'll just have to let her do what she has to do to convince herself that the washer is clean enough for laundry again.

Default Game Bags: Post Hunt

I'm a wife. Washed several game bags 2 weeks ago.

Here's my input:

1. Turn bags inside out (you should rinse, wash, and dry inside out).
    2. Before putting bags in washing machine, rinse them really good in cold water. Change the water a couple of times until rinses clear.
    2. Wash in Cold water setting on machine. Hot water sets the blood in.
    3. Use unscented laundry detergent.
    4. No bleach. If you just HAVE to use bleach, it doesn't take much! Too much bleach and you will degrade your fibers and shorten the life of your bags.
    5. Hang bags to air dry, still inside out. If you have to use the dryer, use low heat.

If you took care of your meat properly (you did, right???) then your bags should not be nasty or rotten smelling. No need to load them up with bleach and high heat or you'll shorten their lifespan.

Now if you let your bags sit around for several days after processing the meat, and the bags got stanky, well...you'll have to use bleach and wash them at least twice. Ick... then you're really in trouble with the wife for putting them stanky things in her washer.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Agree with all above but take them to a laundromat vs your own machine at home.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Excellent advice guys, thank you.

I soak them in a tub with some corn starch added to the water before laundering. Seems to pull a lot of the blood out. Be sure to check your washer and dryer for chips of "jerky" that might have come off if you want to stay good with the wife.

really bloody...
    soak in cold water with iron out added over night,
    then rinse and into wash machine.

if going to be longer then one day before clean, I'll throw the bags in the freezer

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    Another plus one for Oxi-Clean. Put them through a couple cycles in the washer and you'll be good to go. And depending on your lady, you'll just have to let her do what she has to do to convince herself that the washer is clean enough for laundry again.
    Another vote for Oxi-clean, I love the stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast