Thread: Lower Kenai River Float Times?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Lower Kenai River Float Times?

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had a rough rule of thumb regarding float times on the lower Kenai River? I was going to take my inflatable paddle board on the river from the Soldotna bridge down to maybe the Pillars or something. Any idea how fast the current is going roughly? I realize it probably varies with rainfall and how much water is in the river, just looking for a rough baseline. When I did part of the upper Kenai from Cooper Landing to Sportsman's it seemed like that was about 4 mph give or take. I am assuming the lower is slower? Or not? Any help or advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

As mentioned, it depends on rainfall/melt and which section you are comparing (in either section), but I'm guessing speed is 1/3 less from Slikok down to the Pillars. Although, in certain spots it can be comparable.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks Fishgod, I'll post up some times and distances once I do it. Hoping to be able to hit the water next week.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

So I paddled from Morgan's Landing to the Ciechanski SRA this morning. Current was going about 6 mph ish up till Centennial, then it slowed down a bit to more like 5 mph. I was paddling and not just floating, and did the 15.9 river miles in 2:45. Going to paddle from Izaak Walton down to Ciechanski on Tuesday hopefully so I'll be able to double check my times. I was using a better GPS and I think my times/distances from the Cooper Landing trip were off. River flow was a little bit higher than the median. Hope this info helps somebody out, it is a gorgeous stretch of river to be on.