Thread: Big Freighter and smaller canoe combo

Default Big Freighter and smaller canoe combo

Lately we have been working some small lake chains that need portaging. The Scott Hudson Bay is a great boat but I am not quite up to portaging a 400 pound boat and motor combo. So we have been experimenting with ways to carry a paddling canoe on the Scott. The small canoe allows easy access to the next lake in the chain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KClRleUT3Bs

Unfortunately paddling is pretty slow for a weekend warrior so we found a 250.00 Aluminum freighter canoe on the Canadian Version of Craig's List. Can't wait to give this little guy a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Scn7KFouqE

Looks like a versatile setup. I like the canoe on top of the rack, a little extra shade and rain cover.

Also gives you the option of throwing a tarp over to sheet in each side if you had to wait out some ****ty weather, would make a nice 'cabin' to hole up in to stay dry.

It does make a good roof. I have it strapped by an elastic bungee at the back only in case a gale brews up on a crossing. Pretty steady however.

Going to piggy back an old Aluminum Freighter next weekend. Had it out today and with the Suzuki 2.5 (even held back during break in) it zips along really nicely!

Video of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du0P7Sy5UZk

Outrigger fashion is another option, more stable and easier to setup.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Outrigger fashion is another option, more stable and easier to setup.
    Can you describe or show a picture of what you are talking about?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Outrigger style...

This wouldn't be the exact way I would do it, but you get the idea.

oh well, no picture!

outriggers for canoe Grumman, made a set to bolt to the gunnel of there canoes, look like the out riggers from the south
    pacific , the float was a foam roll like a noodle for a pool about 6 Ft long an 7.5 inch in Dia. cut on the end to aid the flow of water.
    I had a set, still have the metal but the foam fell apart , SID
    still has them $ 355.00 a set
    Click here: www.marathonboatstore.com hope it works

Yip...use an outrigger! I tried to carry a 12' kayak (maybe 40 lbs) on my 17' Cargo with the front sitting on the front seat and the back on my "stand-up" leaning post that's 36" high from the floor. It worked really well until I turned a corner on the lake where the waves went from not much to maybe 18" and the Cargo became a real bear to control. The kayak made the Cargo top heavy and I turned around quickly and the waves hitting the side during the turn scared the snot out of me. I got back into calm water and threw the kayak off the canoe and towed it across the big water with no problems. Towing is my method of moving another craft now...much safer.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Why don't you just tow the 2nd canoe? They tow pretty easily and no issues with extra framework or issues with being top-heavy. Personally, I would hate to run into much of any waves with a canoe on a rack that far above another canoe.

It's actually worked out pretty well. The big HB takes the load pretty easy and by not strapping it in you can dislodge instantly.