Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear Spray Fail. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    Critical thinking cap is on!:

1. "unless you immediately kill the bear..." Not really. Many bears can and have been "turned" from a charge by the noise/effect of a warning shot.
    2. Not all bears aggressively follow up their charge. There is a continuum of behaviors in "bluff charges."
    3. Only people who are betting on not encountering "predatory" or temperamentally-hyper-aggressive bears rely on "gas."
    4. Bear spray has NEVER/SELDOM proven effective with PREDATORY bear attacks.
    5. "likewise, if your rifle is slung on your shoulder or strapped to your pack, reaching for a bear spray would be the better solution..." Don't think so. Some can draw a Glock 20 a lot faster you can reach for your can of spray and press the trigger.
    6. No question. A CLOSE encounter (inside 20 yards) with an aggressive/predatory bear will get you mauled. No matter what!

I think there is a modicum of common sense and a bit of eco-nihilism involved when hyping the "protective" characteristics of "bear protection" spray. The reality is that "bear protection" spray ultimately PROTECTS BEARS and, in some instances (less aggressive, non-predatory attacks) in calm days (no heavy rain, no strong wind, no heavy brush) people. But, I take issue with the eco-nihilist narrative depicting "bear protection spray" as the ultimate method of defense against aggressive bears. (Eco-nihilist: Urban-suburban creatures who subconsciously believe the life of a bear is intrinsically more valuable than the life of a human.)
    Thanks for the info you are right on, the next best thing is to look for any sign of bear, keep your gun In your hand locked and loaded and hope for the best.

I hosed a huge male black bear with a Ruger SBH when he charged me. Killed him grave yard dead. Nothing wrong with my shooting.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Bear spray is fing useless. A modern semi auto pistol will get their attention. F the park service telling you to wave you arms and yell or back away. Three people killed and consumed using this dumb advice in ak this year. Shoottany bear that doesnt run ......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I had a semi aggressive black bear at a cabin once and a can of pepper spray. Figured it's time for a field test. So I grabbed that pepper spray and charged the bear! Arm out ready to spray running straight at him from 20 yards, he turned and we ran a couple laps around the cabin together but I couldn't get a good shot at his face so I never sprayed him.
    That spray only works in the eyes or nose. My bullets work anywhere.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The bear spray or bullet conversation is always a good one.

My neighbor is a bear guide. Carries a .416 I think it is. So, pretty used to dealing with wounded bears. Stopped a brown bear this year at roughly 3 feet that was already carrying several big slugs. Anyway, if it hadn't been for the tracking dog getting in between and providing a few seconds of distraction, she figures she'd have been a goner. Point is, even if you're trained, used to it, and ready for it, bad stuff can happen. Neither is 100%. I guess do the best you can with what you're most comfortable using.

I've seen the effects of the spray on a black bear sow with cubs. She really tried to keep coming, but she just couldn't hack it. Cubs squealing and all. So in that case, totally did its job.

Neighbor isn't "mutts" is it?

Things may have gone better of that tracking dog wasn't leashed...😉
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post
    NO protection while a SKILLED gun person has a small chance. (And, I KNOW a bear charge does not happen fast or even, VERY FAST...it happens at HYPERSONIC speed!)
    This is a very good point and I agree with you total on this statement. I have no experience shooting any charging bears but I butcher a lot of animals and 99% of the time they drop like a rock, but every now and again the angle is off, the bullet doesn't perform, etc. and they don't go down with the shot. I always laugh to my self when people are overly confident in the protection their weapon will provide as I just picture those instances when the animal doesn't drop with the shot. Sometimes a shot that seems to be very well placed just does not do the trick and even with something as tame as a cow you have a real handful when that happens, I cannot even imagine what it would be like with a bear if that happened.

Bear don't have to drop. Just change directions or intention.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I had a semi aggressive black bear at a cabin once and a can of pepper spray. Figured it's time for a field test. So I grabbed that pepper spray and charged the bear! Arm out ready to spray running straight at him from 20 yards, he turned and we ran a couple laps around the cabin together but I couldn't get a good shot at his face so I never sprayed him.
    That spray only works in the eyes or nose. My bullets work anywhere.
    Did you guys take turns chasing each other like the bugs bunny cartoons

Lol no. I did all the chasing. Bet we did three laps. Then I needed water.
    Master guide 212

Neighbor isn't "mutts" is it?

Things may have gone better of that tracking dog wasn't leashed...
    Yes. I don't no nothing about no stinking leashes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Yes. I don't no nothing about no stinking leashes.
    I think she was in the same class testing for guide licenses as I was back in the day. But not for certain.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I trust my 7 shot Marlin 45-70 with the 400 grain Kodiak bullets
    7 shot marlin 45-70? I'd like to know more about that puppy if you dont mind PMing me

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    7 shot marlin 45-70? I'd like to know more about that puppy if you dont mind PMing me

The .45-70 is not ideally suited to large Dangerous game, especially in the hands of less experienced hunters. A major limiting factor of the .45-70 for use on heavy dangerous game is that slow kills can allow animals enough time when hit, to attack the hunter while bleeding out. This does not mean to say that the .45-70 is not a clean killer of large dangerous game but simply that there are now far more effective DG cartridges which offer hunters faster kills without risk of having to take follow up shots on charging animals.

Regardless of whether the .45-70 is as fast a killer on large dangerous game as cartridges designed specifically for this purpose, as previously stated, a number of .45-70 enthusiasts enjoy using the .45-70 on large dangerous game. Along with this, a few Alaskan hunting guides find favor with the Marlin .45-70 used as a client back up rifle on Alaskan Brown Bear. It must be noted that those who use this cartridge for such purposes, generally know the .45-70s capabilities inside and out as well as having a sound knowledge of game anatomy and a calm disposition in dangerous situations. For guides, the Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 offers a unique balance of minimal size and weight versus maximum tolerable recoil along with lightning fast follow up shots.

What on earth is a lightning fast follow up?
    Master guide 212

Ha...!!! I was wondering the same thing.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bear don't have to drop. Just change directions or intention.
    Very true.... I'm not a huge proponent of bear spray either, but I can't deny what I saw with my own eyes. It was a video of a charging brown bear that got stopped in it's tracks by a shot of bear spray. Funny thing is though, is that the spray didn't even hit it. It was the sight and sound of the spray itself that stopped the bear. EVERY bear is going to react differently to every different scenario....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

. A 4570 is not suited for dangerous game ? Are you serious? Maybe an 18 wheeler is better if you have one. You would be hard pressed to find a harder hitting firearm on the planet. Big slow bullets kill, fast small bullets are a liability......
    Last edited by Brian M; 1 Week Ago at 21:19.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

If the intent is to kill you spray wont do *****. That's my thinking. The rest is just talk on a forum

I had an opinion once. Then someone with a lot less experience told me
    I was wrong. I have since learned to consult the Internet forums before making a hypothesis.
    Master guide 212

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast