Thread: Transportation of meat to lower 48

Default Transportation of meat to lower 48

What is the best and most efficient way to transport meat and antlers back to the lower 48 like in to the state of Va.?

Quote Originally Posted by t.mooreofva View Post
    What is the best and most efficient way to transport meat and antlers back to the lower 48 like in to the state of Va.?
    When you open this thread to look at the answers.......make sure that you are sitting down....

BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

https://www.alaskaexpresstrucking.com/

ABOUT US

We are a small trucking company based out of Wisconsin. We are dedicated to excellent service.
    We run from the lower 48 to Alaska and all the lower 48.
    In September we offer our services to Alaska hunters, hauling MOOSE, CARIBOU and SHEEP to select lower 48 states. This enables hunters to bring their entire game animal home ,including their ORGANIC meat and unsplit antlers at a much cheaper cost than the airlines provide

Thanks for the information. Going to be some expensive meat.

Alaska Air in 50lb fish boxes.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Alaska Express Trucking provides great service. I have used them for moose and I thought the cost was very reasonable and the service was great. I will definitely use their service for any of my future hunts. This was the cheapest and best method of getting the meat back home that I could find.

Freeze it. Checked baggage.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Freeze it and then checked baggage. I take fish down and venison back up every year. Driving, crossing the border no one even wants to see tags if the animals were legally taken.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I drove a couple 100#'s of fish and game across the boarder. I had 7 cu. ft. freezer and a 1 K generator, worked great. If you have to fly, freeze it and use the fish boxes.

Default Alaska Air Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by t.mooreofva View Post
    I just returned from a great moose hunt in Bethel AK. All was well until Alaska Air Cargo took procession of my meat and antlers.

From the beginning, I became a "Known Shipper" with Alaska Airlines. Which gets you cargo hold space and better shipping rates. I was quoted .37 cents per pound, which became .67 cents per pound.

I received very detailed instructions on how the meat was to be packaged for shipping. All de-boned meat inside a plastic bag, then inside a waxed cardboard box, not weighing more than 100 pounds per box. When I showed up at AK Airlines cargo office to get the boxes for 2 moose, they said don't bother, place the moose meat inside these plastic bags, they then took the meat and loaded it on pallets and shrink wrapped it along with two moose antlers. Sweet! I thought, done. We had tagged out early so we had plenty of time to de-bone the meat and do all the boxing. Turns out we didn't need to. Since we had to change our flights anyway, we ate the $540 change fee and flew out the next morning confident our meat and antlers would arrive in Seattle the day after us.

So, it ships from Bethel to Anchorage where the anchorage office says "its packaged wrong" and won't ship it. Says it now must go by air freight only. Well see, Alaska Airlines Air Cargo does not have it's cargo plane up and running now. And they won't ship the meat in a Combi-passenger / freight plane. the meat and the antlers are supposedly sitting in a freezer in Anchorage....maybe. After multiple phone calls, it was supposedly shipping today (9-26-17) but nope, now maybe tomorrow (9-27-17) but still no guarantee that it will. It could ship 2 weeks from now, depends on if there is space, even though I have booked the space 3 times now.

I short, had I made the Bethel AK office do what the Seattle office said I had to do, I might have gotten my meat and antlers. But since they took it from me and packaged it however they did and that was supposedly wrong, I am hosed. I think at this point I'll be lucky to see the moose meat (rotten) or my antlers again. Unless you only want to take a couple of boxes back then you can take them as extra baggage.

My advice is to make sure you arrange to have freezer space wherever you are hunting to fully freeze you wrapped and boxed de-boned meat for a full 24 hours before you then ship it via AK Airlines Cargo. I'm sure that if the AK airlines people in Bethel had done what they should have, I would have 1520 pounds of moose meat already.

Still in limbo here with another sad tale of Alaska Airlines.

Deboned meat into bags, freeze and place into plastic totes. The cheap rubbermaid ones, drill holes in the top in several places and zip tie. PLace extra ties in the tote so the TSA can inspect and have ties to reseal. Pack so they weigh no more than 99 lbs, pay 75 bucks over sized baggage fee per tote. Antlers get get the tips padded and absorbent material wrapped around skull and wrap in plastic wrap. The totes and be nested and filled with gear for the trip to the bush and gear placed into cloth duffels for the return and meat and capes into the totes. I have done this many times with Alaska airlines, including just sending a friend home with his bull from Fairbanks to Houston. All of it arrived with him still frozen,, be careful filling a freezer with deboned meat, it can expand and get stuck in the freezer.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I'm in Palmer, and I think I know who you are. I think we stayed at the same B&B in Bethel, we were the archery guys. Anything I can do to help? Number is (907) 792-9959

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by jmaximus View Post
    I just returned from a great moose hunt in Bethel AK. All was well until Alaska Air Cargo took procession of my meat and antlers.

From the beginning, I became a "Known Shipper" with Alaska Airlines. Which gets you cargo hold space and better shipping rates. I was quoted .37 cents per pound, which became .67 cents per pound.

I received very detailed instructions on how the meat was to be packaged for shipping. All de-boned meat inside a plastic bag, then inside a waxed cardboard box, not weighing more than 100 pounds per box. When I showed up at AK Airlines cargo office to get the boxes for 2 moose, they said don't bother, place the moose meat inside these plastic bags, they then took the meat and loaded it on pallets and shrink wrapped it along with two moose antlers. Sweet! I thought, done. We had tagged out early so we had plenty of time to de-bone the meat and do all the boxing. Turns out we didn't need to. Since we had to change our flights anyway, we ate the $540 change fee and flew out the next morning confident our meat and antlers would arrive in Seattle the day after us.

So, it ships from Bethel to Anchorage where the anchorage office says "its packaged wrong" and won't ship it. Says it now must go by air freight only. Well see, Alaska Airlines Air Cargo does not have it's cargo plane up and running now. And they won't ship the meat in a Combi-passenger / freight plane. the meat and the antlers are supposedly sitting in a freezer in Anchorage....maybe. After multiple phone calls, it was supposedly shipping today (9-26-17) but nope, now maybe tomorrow (9-27-17) but still no guarantee that it will. It could ship 2 weeks from now, depends on if there is space, even though I have booked the space 3 times now.

I short, had I made the Bethel AK office do what the Seattle office said I had to do, I might have gotten my meat and antlers. But since they took it from me and packaged it however they did and that was supposedly wrong, I am hosed. I think at this point I'll be lucky to see the moose meat (rotten) or my antlers again. Unless you only want to take a couple of boxes back then you can take them as extra baggage.

My advice is to make sure you arrange to have freezer space wherever you are hunting to fully freeze you wrapped and boxed de-boned meat for a full 24 hours before you then ship it via AK Airlines Cargo. I'm sure that if the AK airlines people in Bethel had done what they should have, I would have 1520 pounds of moose meat already.

Still in limbo here with another sad tale of Alaska Airlines.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Checked baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Deboned meat into bags, freeze and place into plastic totes. The cheap rubbermaid ones, drill holes in the top in several places and zip tie. PLace extra ties in the tote so the TSA can inspect and have ties to reseal. Pack so they weigh no more than 99 lbs, pay 75 bucks over sized baggage fee per tote. Antlers get get the tips padded and absorbent material wrapped around skull and wrap in plastic wrap. The totes and be nested and filled with gear for the trip to the bush and gear placed into cloth duffels for the return and meat and capes into the totes. I have done this many times with Alaska airlines, including just sending a friend home with his bull from Fairbanks to Houston. All of it arrived with him still frozen,, be careful filling a freezer with deboned meat, it can expand and get stuck in the freezer.
    This is exactly what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro