Thread: Need help w/ 23 hp Briggs Vanguard

Default Need help w/ 23 hp Briggs Vanguard

Runs rough. Some black smoke; soots spark plugs. Ran fine last fall; very new engine, but I did see a tad of black smoke last fall on maiden voyage. Gas is new; plugs are new. Clean carb (Mikuni)? Will pay mech to look it over if need be; planning on leaving in a day or two, naturally. Thanks. john 347-5469

Got it figured out. john

Well what was it?

not 100% sure, but the black smoke is gone and it runs a tad smoother. i changed oil, and it seemed to be a tad overfilled. i refilled to just a tad under "Full", and all seems ok. ???? j

Check your carb float seat. Oil will smell like gas , will run rich, often a little debris in seat.

roger that. thanks. john

Drain your float bowl first, I call it my Suzuki tune up on my old 89 Quadrunner.

i will look to see if there is a drain. i think the bottom of the carb needs to come off to drain it. it is a mikuni v28, i think; no i.d. on it anywhere. j

We run Vangards in my sons race car with a little more compression and they are around 30 HP, that being said we run only enough oil to barely get on the dipstick.

Update. Just ran the motor 320 miles. Ran fairly well most of the time, but plugs sooted up a few times and some black smoke, especially at idle. We got a bit of gas in a village, and had some declining rpm issues for several hours thereafter. I changed the fuel filter, and that helped quite a bit. We then mixed in some Fairbanks gas and I was getting 100-150 rpm higher than previously. I need to read up on adjusting the air/fuel ratio, and checked valve lash that was mentioned (don't see the reply here. maybe in an PM.) Thanks for the replies. john