Thread: testing waters on a hunting partner, for a ridiculous float drag...

Default testing waters on a hunting partner, for a ridiculous float drag...

short notice... and what I'd be looking for is a hunting partner that simply wants an adventure, and half a well deserved moose(if we are so fortunate as to get one). The hunt is purposefully ridiculous... 50 miles of rock dodging, dragging, and three portages..(kinda keeps people out)...I'd want to shoot the moose...(one I've had my eye on)... if we harvest simply a meat bull, I'd be ok with another idea.. but tough hunt... great adventure.... good meat. Need a hard shell canoe you don't care gets destroyed... and it will.. and it's my hunt..lol I'd expect you not to show up following years... Alaskan integrity and all...

I hand pulled 175 fathoms of seine this summer after my hydros blew up, and I guess I have a hernia... doc says I need help. And I'm 59... doc is crazy of course... I may just break down and bone the hind quarters... and go for it. Hate boning the meat... but if it allows me to go... I'll do it.

You may want to rethink that..... I got a verbal lashing from my doc when I told him I was out in the PW Sound hunting with a hernia. Seems that if a hernia ruptures and you're out in the middle of nowhere and can't get out, you could die in as little as 24 hours. Up to you of course and I had the hernia for a long time and did plenty of activities with it. But when I was out in the sound it had really started burning and was quite painful at times......not good.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

yea, thats what doc told me... rupture would be bad... and strangulation as well... if it gets blocked you have 6 hours to get attention.... kinda tough when you are three days in. Missing moose season would kill me as well though, so I dunno... looking at options without the three portages... and quicker access to medical care..lol

I gave it a shot... paddled in, lined up river 5 miles... camped... felt my intestines slosh in an out of the little hole on my morning hunt. lol Decided, search and rescue had better things to do than come get me doing stupid crap, and paddled out. Next year... severely disappointed... hunt local a bit, halibut, king salmon and spruce chickens. I fished around Montegue all summer, just never got time to go get a deer or two.. Doc told me, just go buy beef... some people just don't get it.

Glad to hear that you are ok, many people don't realize the very real danger of what can happen with a hernia. It could have turned into a recovery and not a rescue!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Diagnosed with a hernia in April. Operated on this past Monday. 15 hunts on my hernia including 2 Sheep and three goat
    Hunts. My doc also told me it could go bad. But gave me a crash course on how to shove everything back in!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Diagnosed with a hernia in April. Operated on this past Monday. 15 hunts on my hernia including 2 Sheep and three goat
    Hunts. My doc also told me it could go bad. But gave me a crash course on how to shove everything back in!!
    Guy I knew had his stuff pop out and was having a real hard time getting it all pushed back in. He told me he had to lay down and relax for a few hours before he was actually able to get it all back in again. After that he decided it was time to get it fixed.

I've had three hernias. First was an umbilical hernia....I guess I gave myself when I was climbing outta my momma. Had that fixed at twelve. The others were in the standard place. After years I finally had one fixed the old fashioned way. Then I got one on the other side and had the mesh used. For something that was supposed to be the latest and greatest it's never been right. I was thinking the doctor botched the job, but now I hear about bad mesh.....so who knows. All I know is that it still feels like I have a hernia but without the pain the other one used to have....that one really started burning when it got bad. Guess I should have it looked at again....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yea, I ruptured mine in the beginning of my fishing season.... we blew up the hydraulics, and rather than bother anyone we hand pulled 200 fathoms of seine. I was told stop fishing, but that was of course to be ignored. Made it through the season,and tried the hunt. It probably would have been ok...but I hunt alone, and have three portages to get out, and figured I was going to need to ask search and rescue to come get me if it went wrong. THIS YEAR!! All healed and feeling great...surgery was really good... Doc Lattin in Soldotna... highly recommended!! Was able to go to a 4 hour fishermans meeting the next day, and in three days had to slow myself down, and remember the ten pound limit(kinda used a thirty pound limit..lol)...

I couldnít hardly move for about three days after my surgery. Iíve got an cut about four inches long and man I couldnít hardly move! Feeling better
    Today black and blue is almost gone. Almost walking normal again. Tomorrow I get my follow up check up. Goody.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I understand the concern about the hernia and thats your decision

But if I read your post correctly you want your "partner" to bring his own canoe/raft/boat and pretty much guarantee it will get trashed before the end of the trip. Why not buy your own canoe/raft/boat and trash it? Plus if anything happens to you along the way, your partner will be responsible for getting you back to safety and then figure a way to get his boat back

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I understand the concern about the hernia and thats your decision

But if I read your post correctly you want your "partner" to bring his own canoe/raft/boat and pretty much guarantee it will get trashed before the end of the trip. Why not buy your own canoe/raft/boat and trash it? Plus if anything happens to you along the way, your partner will be responsible for getting you back to safety and then figure a way to get his boat back
    I have all my own gear... I do the hunt alone every year, and pretty sure I didn't pack a moose 50 miles... two canoes is better... but hey man, sure appreciate your helpful feedback..

I couldnít hardly move for about three days after my surgery. Iíve got an cut about four inches long and man I couldnít hardly move! Feeling better
    Today black and blue is almost gone. Almost walking normal again. Tomorrow I get my follow up check up. Goody.
    Did you have the attached pain pump? I did. and kinda wondered if it was liquid courage. I was up and went to a two hour meeting the following morning... three weeks later I was rock climbing in Thailand... my cut was 4 inches, but can barely see the scar anymore, and had no problems... more kudos to Doc Latin... seems he has a knack for this type work..lol

I hope I never end up in a survival type situation with any of you guys. As a last resort I might have to eat you and you all sound TOUGH!
    Nick Clegg
    Husband, Father, Hunter,
    Usually in that order
    http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I hope I never end up in a survival type situation with any of you guys. As a last resort I might have to eat you and you all sound TOUGH!
    You know when you accidentally poke a hole in the gut cavity, and parts and pieces start squeezing out......can't keep that image out of my head now.....yikes!