Thread: .308 Savage 99 to .358?

Default .308 Savage 99 to .358?

Anybody know what would be involved with converting a .308 Savage 99 to a .358? Cost? How available is factory .358 ammo? Thanks......Louis

Louis: I think it is only switching the barrel but give Doug Wells a phone call 406-626-4152. He is an excellent Savage 99 smith and like the 358. He also has his own wildcat that is a 284 Win case necked up to 338. This will give you 338-06 type performance from a 99 Savage but I think it is limited to a 210 gr bullet. Discuss with him your time frame because he is slow unless he knows you need it soon. Good luck. J.

I have always liked the Savage 99 but you can pick up a late model Browning lever action for 550.00 to 700.00 I have one of these shoots very well and is an easy round to reload ammo for. I also have a neat little 700 rem custom in that round that I need to shoot. If you want to rebarrel a 99 by all means do it, but if you just want a lever gun in 358 give the BLR a look the 358 is a great round give it a try.

A rebarrel should be pretty straight forward due to the same parent cartridge. I doubt you would have to mess with feeding or anything else. If you already have a 99 on hand, it wouldn't be too expensive, but you're going to run up some bucks if you have to buy the gun, too. There's growing collector interest, and prices are climbing fast, though I doubt an original 308 would stir enough interest to prevent you from rebarreling. I would hang onto the original barrel, though.

It's been so long since I bought factory ammo, I can't tell you what's available from which company. It's really straight forward to reload for, and it's a snap to form your own cases from 308. An ammo supply should be pretty far down your list of concerns.

Default Rebore the existing barrel

I had a 99F ( I think it was a F ???) that was a 308. Ed sic Nickels rebored it to .358 and all worked out very well. It is in Anchor Point now. I think Mr. Nickels is deceased but any other reborer can do it.

Any reboreing needs to be sent out to Jim Dubell at Delta Gun shop, Jim runs Clearwater reboring.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Any reboreing needs to be sent out to Jim Dubell at Delta Gun shop, Jim runs Clearwater reboring.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/

So thats where labounty's went (or became).

Thanks

Sorry to be so slow, but thanks for the info, folks!

This whole thing started when my wife and I were talking about a family moose hunting trip when I get my plane flying again. She was concerned about being alone with at camp while I was making shuttles with the plane so started thinking about an appropriate firearm for her for defense. The logical thing would probably be a shotgun. I don't have one that would fit her and started thinking my .308 m99 would be a good size for here. Of course a little heavier caliber would be nice and that's how this chain of thought got started.

It would most likely be cheaper to buy her a shotgun and that's probably what we'll do, but that wouldn't be quite as interesting as reboring the rifle. That might be a good project for next year, however, as it looks like the .358 is only practical if I get into reloading and I need to get the plane flying before I take on any other serious hobbies.

Appreciate it....Louis