Thread: Hunting the Sag River

Default Hunting the Sag River

I will be hunting caribou in the 2nd week of September on the Haul Road. My brother has a cataraft and we were thinking about possible floating on the Sag River but from researching on this site and others it sounds like it may be a little rough to float. I have few questions that hopefully you all can help me with. Are there several points that you can put you raft in? Is there sections that are a not as fast that are easily accessible? Is there someone that you can get to shuttle you back to your car?

Thanks for the help.

Default I guess not

I guess no one has been on the Sag. If you know of another site or something please let me know.

Scott

Joker, If you don't get the answers you are looking for from one of the members here try pristine ventures. Larry Bartlett specializes in rafting locations and trip planning. He will be able to set you up with whatever you need, be it a few questions or an all out trip planning.
    Justin
    Justin

Default The Sag

I have been up there (haul rd) several times and have thought about taking my 16' cat down the river as well. The folks that I have talked that have floated down the Ivishik to the Sag said it was an awesome trip. The major problem is the water levels. If there is not enough then you spend a lot of time dragging your boat, if there is too much the sag can have a lot of volume. There are several outfits running airboats/jetboats up the river to drop hunters off these days so you might see if you can find one of them and talk to them as well. Larry with Pristine is another great resource. It wasn't but a couple of years ago that someone died on the Sag, he and a buddy were floating down, trying to cross, he stepped in a hole and was never seen again.

Good luck, if you go I would love to hear how it went.

Steve

Thanks for the information guys. I will be researching it more will give you an update.