Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEF at the pump

Default DEF at the pump

Does anyone know of a place in Anchorage that sells DEF at the pump? Lower 48 has a DEf nozzle right next to the diesel for $2.65 gal
    Probably get yelled at by the hall monitor but I couldn't find any other place to post it! Sorry!

Wouldn't it freeze up here

I believe the freezing point is close to 10F

Yep. Pump would be froze up solid half the year unless heated. Ain't gonna happen.

What keeps it from freezing in your truck? Isn't the DEF tank separate?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    What keeps it from freezing in your truck? Isn't the DEF tank separate?
    Most systems purge the lines of DEF and pushes it back into the tank when the engine gets shut off. And the tanks are heated when the engine is on.

They have the station pumps in northern Idaho and Montana??? The nozzle and hose are inside a housing with a flap door. Not sure if still available in the winter. Sure nice being able to fill up at the pump rather than paying $5 a gallon in a box. Ok, next question, is it available in bulk anywhere?

Totally a great question, I've wondered the same thing.

Kenworth has a pump but you have to pay inside. I think it's still pricey though 4+ per gal

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    They have the station pumps in northern Idaho and Montana??? The nozzle and hose are inside a housing with a flap door. Not sure if still available in the winter. Sure nice being able to fill up at the pump rather than paying $5 a gallon in a box. Ok, next question, is it available in bulk anywhere?

OK next issue since DEF is not produced here in AK would be to ship up bulk tanks without freezing it intransit. Then outdoor heated storage tanks at the fuel stations. All are cost prohibitive to the average bussiness. I don't forsee anyone doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Most systems purge the lines of DEF and pushes it back into the tank when the engine gets shut off. And the tanks are heated when the engine is on.
    Thanks. I'm just asking as I'm hoping to upgrade my truck in the coming years. I'd think a truck sitting a couple days outside during the winter up here would still be a problem but given I've never heard any complaints, I must be missing something.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Yes that is correct in ID, WA, and MT. The nozzle is in a housing so no freeze up.

I run DEF in a Super Duty, have never had the tank freeze up on me, even at -20F. The cheapest place I have found it is at NRC in Anchorage by the 55 gallon drum.

Did some research. DEF freezes at +12. Ford say they know this and right in the owners manual say your tank will freeze solid in our weather. They know it. And say don't worry about it. Start your truck. The tank heater will thaw it and all is well. Just don't fill your tanks level full. If you use their fill adapter as you're supposed to that will keep you from filling your tank full enough to damage it when it freezes solid.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Did some research. DEF freezes at +12. Ford say they know this and right in the owners manual say your tank will freeze solid in our weather. They know it. And say don't worry about it. Start your truck. The tank heater will thaw it and all is well. Just don't fill your tanks level full. If you use their fill adapter as you're supposed to that will keep you from filling your tank full enough to damage it when it freezes solid.
    Yeah after posting I did some research as well. Learn something new everyday so thanks for the help.

Supporting Member

Never had an issue with the DEF in my ram diesel, even at -30 left out overnight. Just make sure you plug it in and leave it plugged in all night long! Starts right up, runs rough for a few minutes but then all is fine.

DEF tank may have frozen, but you won't notice.

It is designed to freeze and thaw. Programing lets the heaters come on for a preset time period before it expexts it to start pumping and reducing NOX. The tank heater only heats a small area around the pick up to be used. It doesnot thaw the whole tank.

Just curious. How much DEF does a diesel pickup use? Say you burn 100 gal of diesel, how much DEF? Stuff like this, and the price of a new truck, make me want to hang on to my 01 as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Just curious. How much DEF does a diesel pickup use? Say you burn 100 gal of diesel, how much DEF? Stuff like this, and the price of a new truck, make me want to hang on to my 01 as long as possible.
    You might want to find out if the mfrs have solved the DEF system sensor problems before you take the plunge for a new pickup.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by Fc8464 View Post
    It is designed to freeze and thaw. Programing lets the heaters come on for a preset time period before it expexts it to start pumping and reducing NOX. The tank heater only heats a small area around the pick up to be used. It doesnot thaw the whole tank.
    If only the area proximal to the pickup is heated/thawed, won't that create a vacuum at the pickup causing the pump to cavitate? If not, once the thawed area proximal to the pickup is pumped dry, are you SOL for the rest of the winter?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast