Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEF at the pump

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Just curious. How much DEF does a diesel pickup use? Say you burn 100 gal of diesel, how much DEF? Stuff like this, and the price of a new truck, make me want to hang on to my 01 as long as possible.
    The cost is relatively small. Roughly 2.5 gallons every few months for me.

The real issue is reduced reliability and fuel economy:
    My 2004 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel was far more reliable and got roughly 25 mpg on the highway. Sold it after ten years when it was still running strong at 150k miles. Only major issue was a water pump at 90k miles.

My 2014 Cummins 6.5 turbo diesel gets about 18 mpg. It has been in the shop four times for exhaust sensor issues and needed a new cat at 40k miles.

Love the new truck other than I miss the old 5.9 engine.

Can the DEF systems be eliminated and the truck reprogrammed to run without?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If only the area proximal to the pickup is heated/thawed, won't that create a vacuum at the pickup causing the pump to cavitate? If not, once the thawed area proximal to the pickup is pumped dry, are you SOL for the rest of the winter?

My bad, did not explain this well. Will try to up load a picture of a heater reservoir out of a 2015 Chevy 2500 HD. The pick up and heater are located in side the housing. The heater melts what is in side and would assume heat would radiate outward. Biggest problem that I think we have up north where it stays -10F and colder for extended time is it creates a air pocket around the reservoir. Then when the heater is commanded on there is no fluid/ice surrounding it and it burns the heater out causing codes and derates the engine. In climates that does not have extended cold temps ( 4 weeks or longer) the fluid has a chance to melt and refill he void.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Can the DEF systems be eliminated and the truck reprogrammed to run without?
    Yes it can but it will void your warranty on your truck.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post

My 2004 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel was far more reliable and got roughly 25 mpg on the highway. Sold it after ten years when it was still running strong at 150k miles. Only major issue was a water pump at 90k miles.

My 2014 Cummins 6.5 turbo diesel gets about 18 mpg. It has been in the shop four times for exhaust sensor issues and needed a new cat at 40k miles.

I've got an 01 F350 with the 7.3L powerstroke - no DEF system. I've never gotten over 20 mpg, although I rarely drive it without either a load in the bed or pulling a trailer or both. Knock-on-wood, but the engine has been pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Yes it can but it will void your warranty on your truck.
    And land you fines as high as $25,000 in states such as California and Minnesota. Even in Alaska it's not legal. Just not enforced.

Love the military guys stationed here that dump tons of money into deletes and upgrades on their diesel trucks then get orders to the states. They end up having to sell their trucks up here cuz they can't take them with them.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I've got an 01 F350 with the 7.3L powerstroke - no DEF system. I've never gotten over 20 mpg, although I rarely drive it without either a load in the bed or pulling a trailer or both. Knock-on-wood, but the engine has been pretty reliable.
    I used to own a ford 7.3 idi prior to the turbos. It would pull anything, but slowly...with a cloud of black smoke and terrible acceleration.
    Fuel economy? It had two big diesel tanks for a reason...

The turbo on the 7.3s was a great advance, but I think the inline 6 5.9L Cummins was the peak of small diesel performance.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post

Humm...... I have a friend with the exact same issues. He sold his and bought a Ford. I have had Ford diesels since 08. I have never had any issues.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12