Thread: Anyone know any about the Tyonek crash ???

Default Anyone know any about the Tyonek crash ???

For some reason this is not showing up on the NTSB AIN summary page and it barely made the news...

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska State Troopers say one person has died in a plane crash near a village southwest of Anchorage.

Troopers say responders have confirmed the pilot's death after the wreckage was found near Chakachamna Lake, about 50 miles west of Tyonek (tie-OH'-neck). Recovery efforts were under way Thursday.

A search was launched after responders received an emergency locator beacon alert late Wednesday night.

Troopers say the National Transportation Safety Board is among responders at the scene. The remains will be sent to the state medical examiner's office.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I saw a fundraising post for the pilot's family yesterday on a Facebook group. I don't recall the name offhand, but it appears the pilot had a wife and children.

Secondhand information here, but my wife is friends with the pilots wife. I have not asked any details, but I believe they were recently married and she is pregnant with their first child. Incredibly sad (as are all plane crashes).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I saw the remains of the aircraft on a trailer today. N1905A and I found a photo online that matches what I saw. It was as flattened as any cub crash I've seen.. doesn't appear that it burned. Only the tail feathers were intact. Sad deal all the way around. It appears he finalized the purchase of the plane three weeks ago.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Posted August 25, 2017 04:57 pm
    By Staff reports

Man who died in plane crash near Tyonek identified

A man who died Wednesday in a plane crash on Cook Inlet’s west side has been identified as Jason Walkush, 35.
    Walkush, of Anchorage, was found dead in the wreckage of his plane near Chakachamna Lake, about 50 miles west of Tyonek, on Wednesday by searchers from the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center. His body was taken back to the State Medical Examiner’s office and his identity confirmed Friday afternoon, according to an online Alaska State Trooper dispatch.
    The Rescue Coordination Center responded to a beacon alert from the plane at approximately 10:47 p.m. Wednesday, according to the dispatch. After the RCC was able to locate the plane and confirm that the pilot had died, troopers despolyed a helicopter with two troopers along with a National Transportation Safety Board officer to investigate and recover Walkush’s body, according to the dispatch.
    Walkush’s next-of-kin have been notified, according to the dispatch.
    –Staff reports
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Very sad. Thanks for sharing the donation link.