Thread: Electronics installation, swapping out older Fishfinder/GPS/Radar for a newer one. HE

Default Electronics installation, swapping out older Fishfinder/GPS/Radar for a newer one. HE

Hello fellow boaters!!!
    First of all let me start off by saying, I'm very grateful for this forum and experience boaters sharing their knowledge!! I'm asking for help on this one. Unfortunately, this is something I can't find after searching. I'm not tech savvy enough for this project.

Who in Anchorage can swap out my 2006 Simrad GPS/RADAR/FISH FINDER. I have a 06' SeaSport ands it a 28ft. First time owner of boat this size. I'll be purchasing the newer Garmin RADAR/GPS/FISH FINDER touchscreen. Just looking for someone to install. The nice mounts are there for radar etc.,..mainly running wires and connecting. Is there some who's reasonable, Recommendations please??
    West marine in Anchorage mentioned Best Buy for installation. I spoke with AK Mining and Diving already, anyone else??
    Hoping some else has been through this. Trying to save some money on labor work!!!
    I have to use an app on my phone to find the ocean floor while fishing, I don't want to have to rely on my phone. Message me or replying would be highly appreciated!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishing nut; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:06. Reason: Topic title left out Help!! Ha,ha!

I have two leads Reynolds Marine 568-4020 and Heavy Weather boats 349-4325. They both sell, service and install Garmin equipment. If you have not bought the equipment they may be able to save you some money. I can't say if you will think they are reasonable. Having it install correctly the first time can be priceless.

No way in the bowels of Haiti would bring a boat to either Best Buy or AMDS. Dave at Heavy Weather is very savvy. He would be a great resource. I would also highly recommend Brett with Polar marine. He frequents the forum and his handle is Kenaifly. He has a wealth of information to offer and specializes in marine electronics. He is located kitty corner from Anchorage Yamaha and Suzuki. Here is his number: 9076021020 and here is a link to his website: https://www.polarmarine.net

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    No way in the bowels of Haiti would bring a boat to either Best Buy or AMDS. Dave at Heavy Weather is very savvy. He would be a great resource. I would also highly recommend Brett with Polar marine. He frequents the forum and his handle is Kenaifly. He has a wealth of information to offer and specializes in marine electronics. He is located kitty corner from Anchorage Yamaha and Suzuki. Here is his number: 9076021020 and here is a link to his website: https://www.polarmarine.net
    I'll second the recommendation for Brett @ Polar Marine!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

BK Marine in the valley. Brian does great work!

Truthfully though it is all pretty easy and since you have existing power runs the install is pretty much plug and play.

Are you installing a new transducer also or using the old one?

Since you are replacing, I would inspect the exiting cabling also.

Having it installed correctly is what I'm after. Didn't like the Best Buy referral, almost laughed when I heard that from West Marine associate.
    Exactly what I'm looking for, someone with boating and trustworthy installation. Basically who lives it and knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    BK Marine in the valley. Brian does great work!

Truthfully though it is all pretty easy and since you have existing power runs the install is pretty much plug and play.

Are you installing a new transducer also or using the old one?

Since you are replacing, I would inspect the exiting cabling also.
    I would like to replace the transducer also. Be nice if the existing one can be used though, just not sure. I have some questions, wanting to do what works best. It's mounted to the bottom of boat centered underneath the back deck area, not near the back.

Can you read a model number on the transducer? In hull transducers are usually pretty good if installed correctly. If you can read the model number then you can go to Garm

Sounds like there are options... BK Marine has a facebook page and he is also on this forum as BKmail.

I'd give Polar Marine a call if you are looking for a shop in Anchorage. https://www.polarmarine.net/ They are Garmin dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    Having it installed correctly is what I'm after. Didn't like the Best Buy referral, almost laughed when I heard that from West Marine associate.
    Exactly what I'm looking for, someone with boating and trustworthy installation. Basically who lives it and knows his stuff.

Another recommendation for Polar Marine.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

+1 for Polar Marine! Friends don't let friends take their marine equipment to a car stereo shop! These instruments ARE NOT AUDIO SYSTEMS. (Although we install those too; mostly in boats)

Seriously...we would be happy to provide an estimate. I stand behind the work. We are also a direct dealer for Garmin, providing sales and warranty service with certified technicians. Give us a call, or swing by to discuss your specific transducer options.

Also, thanks to all for the referrals! This is how I try and survive; providing quality work, a breadth of experience, and solid repeat client business.
    PolarMarine.net

Default Electronics installation, swapping out older Fishfinder/GPS/Radar for a newer one. HE

Excellent. I was hoping one of the names would see the the conversation sometime. I appreciate all of you sending me info, you guys are awesome!!!!
    I'll will be definitely will be contacting you Kenaifly, when I get back from my hunt. I'll be gone for 6-8 days. I have to much going at this moment. I leave next Thursday. I found your FB page by the way. Thanks Kenaifly.