Thread: Best snowblower?

Default Best snowblower?

Thought I would give this section a try. If you hadn't noticed, my wife and I finally arrived to the Kenai peninsula Saturday! I want to get a jump on some gear and get a Good blower. I'm of the old school thought of buy the better or best and buy once. What make and model of machine do you recommend and where in anchorage is the best place to find the best pricing? I appreciate any help and input.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Get a 4-wheeler and a plow; you can use it for lots of other purposes, but you can't ride a snow blower. Last winter, didn't hardly need to do much for snow removal. Anyway, Home Depot has blowers here for not much more than Anchorage.

Or if you want the best blower, go see Ron's Honda in Soldotna. Like most of Hondas products, they work great and last forever. Just be ready for some sticker shock compared to the prices at Home Depot.

We average 325" a year in Valdez. My drive is 100 yards and the 10 h.p. Honda does it all. In 10 years I have needed one belt, shear pins and one chute adjustment handle that the 4-wheeler bit off. Starts 1-2 pulls and is the best machine I have ever bought.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Another vote for a Honda. I've been running mine for many years and she still throws snow further than any of my neighbors other brands..
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I can't badmouth a Honda, for sure, but right behind a Honda is my John Deere. It sits under the leanto all summer and starts on the first pull every winter. Ok, once it took 2 pulls. Funny part is, it came w a plug in gadget that allows u to plug it in to the wall socket that will electrically turn it over w the push of a button to start it if needed.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

If you're in a small subdivision with just a 2 car driveway and a walkway, get a Honda- I like the ones with tracks A LOT better than wheels. If you have anything more, especially with enough yard to stack it, I'd do like sayak says and get a wheeler with a plow. Just don't let a snowfall go without plowing, get it plowed right away. Also, make sure you stack your snow pretty far from the driveway... As the winter moves on, you'll get closer and closer to the driveway and you can't plow a weeks old berm very easily.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We have a Honda also. It has tracks and electric start. There is no battery, plug into 110 to start. Also recoil starter if needed. It's a good rig.

I've got friends that live on the bluff in Homer. They have a little John Deere tractor with a snowblower hanging off the front. And a regular snowblower.
    You can only push so much snow so far and so high with a 4 wheeler and a plow. The little Deere will blow it clean off the bluff!
    It looks something like this...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I have a 6' orange one that's rear PTO drive and a 28" Airens walk behind...ya just can't beat snow blower. We had 88" last winter and I never shoveled a bit...blew it all into the woods and just watched it melt at break-up.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I also have the Honda. I've had as much as 7 feet of snow in the yard and the Honda always keeps it clean. I like the tracks too, have a 80 yard long driveway with a steep slope and it always climbs it. When it gets deep you can't push it you need to move it out and away and the blower will do that. Just don't let it go you have to keep up with it. Jim

[QUOTE=jdb3;1609203]I also have the Honda. I've had as much as 7 feet of snow in the yard and the Honda always keeps it clean. I like the tracks too, have a 80 yard long driveway with a steep slope and it always climbs it. When it gets deep you can't push it you need to move it out and away and the blower will do that. Just don't let it go you have to keep up with it. Jim[/QUOTE
    I have always thought about putting some snowmachine studs on mine for the icy hill up and out of my drive.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Dave, One of my friends brought over his John Deere tractor with chains, extra weights and the snow-blower attachment on the front and it would not climb my hill. I have to finesse my Honda sometimes due to ice but it has always climbed the hill.

Years ago, we used a Beaver to fly a Honda 316 with a snow blower attachment into our lodge at HIGH LAKE. Used it to blow out our runway on the ice. We supplied the lodge during winter months with a Cessna 206 on wheels. Did an excellent job with no maintenance issues. Best buy buy ever made!

Supporting Member

Default Best snowblower?

When I had a long steep snowy driveway this was my solution:
    http://wernerimplement.com/Snowblower/63039/index.html#

Bullet proof if you get a pto driven model with a slip clutch. With a 60" wide by 25" cutting path and the ability to raise it up high using the tractor's 3 point lift, it made quick work of the deepest drifts. Snow 3-4 feet deep was no problem, nor was the occasional rock or gravel. I had a set of chains for that tractor, but never needed them with this blower so I took them off and stopped using them.

But you need a medium sized tractor, 20-40 pto hp, to run it and therefore it is not the cheap solution. Overkill unless your driveway is ~1000' plus in length.

Slip it on a cab tractor and you can cleanup a ton of snow in short order while being completely spoiled.....heat, wipers, lights and a radio.....

I now have a shorter driveway and have been demoted to a Troy built walk behind. Not nearly as good as a Honda but for occasional use on a short driveway it is an economical solution.