Thread: Need to bleed salmon when bank fishing?

Default Need to bleed salmon when bank fishing?

Do I need to bleed my salmon when bank fishing? Especially if I'll have them out of the water? I'm talking about mainly about silvers in mid-late August so it shouldn't be hot then....I'd rather not because of the mess.....I'll be carrying my fish out in my backpack (of course in garbage bags). If u don't bleed do u really find the meat getting tainted?

Bleeding them good will help take out the strong taste. I bleed all my fish now. I don't just cut the gills but actually cut the artery that connects to the gills. They bleed out fast and efficient. Then clean them real good and their won't be any mess in the sack.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I'm convinced that cleaning the fish immediately is the best way to ensure meat quality. Get the blood and guts out as soon as you land it. I whack the heads off, too. I really think it makes a difference.

Yahhh...I think I'll just bleed my fish and keep them on a stringer in the water until most of the bleeding stops...hopefully before a bear chases me off my stringer.

Where is this vein to the gill....in the neck area just below the gills? I would think that if I fillet the fish on the stream then I'd have to put it in a cooler pretty soon which I won't do on my drop-off trips. Am I right in assuming that even a gutted fish would spoil faster than just a bled fish?

I normally cut the roof of the mouth right where the gills come together and form a point, then I rip out a gill or two on either side.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Quick Way

A quick way to bleed fish is to cut off the tail. The veins run down the body to the tail. Works real good, just makes for an ugly photo.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chinookhead View Post
    Yahhh...I think I'll just bleed my fish and keep them on a stringer in the water until most of the bleeding stops...hopefully before a bear chases me off my stringer.

Where is this vein to the gill....in the neck area just below the gills? I would think that if I fillet the fish on the stream then I'd have to put it in a cooler pretty soon which I won't do on my drop-off trips. Am I right in assuming that even a gutted fish would spoil faster than just a bled fish?
    a) I don't fillet a fish until I can put it up in cans or the fridge.

b) I don't put dead fish in the water.

c) While a fish is alive the organs serve a purpose. Once dead they're just guts. I have no desire to marinate my dinner in fish dookey for any longer than I have to.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I could be wrong but dont you have to kill the fish if you put it on a stinger or has the law changed.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    A quick way to bleed fish is to cut off the tail. The veins run down the body to the tail. Works real good, just makes for an ugly photo.

Steve
    A better way to tail bleed is to slice from the bottom of the fish upwards to the spine ('bottom', as though the fish were swimming ...from the 'keel'). Then take a sharp knife and poke the tip into the spine to sever the artery that's in there. Hang upright (head upwards) for a couple of minutes, rope through the jaw, and toss back in the water. Some will cut the gills AND the tail. The good thing about this method is that you leave the tail attached and can still fillet properly, e.g. knife follows the spine to the tail, flip the fillet over the tail, then knife follows the skin and out. If you cut the tail off, then it's hard to fillet the meat off the skin (assuming you care about the skin being on the fillet ...I don't care either way.)

And then there's this: http://www.calkingsalmon.org/pdf/procedures.pdf

Brian