Thread: Scott 'Makobe' mini freighter

Default Scott 'Makobe' mini freighter

Thinking about putting in an order for Spring 2018 for one of these models.

Not a whole lot of info or reviews on this canoe, figured some users on this site may be able to give some insight? Pros/cons, durability, handling, etc

I think it's a good suit for me as I usually hunt alone (+ the dog) and managing an 18 or 20' heavy freighter is tough for one guy. The Makobe at ~120 lbs is about the upper limit of what I can portage myself but is do-able, and can still pack a decent camp + moose. Looks like it's built like a tank and that brings another question for you guys who know -

Is it worth the extra $$ to go with the Kevlar? What are the benefits compared to the fiberglass? Weight difference is 10 lbs according to website.

I have a new 6.5 Kohler sitting in the shop that I'd like to mate with a SwampRunner longtail kit to power this boat, but also like the 7hp Copperhead. Any opinions on long vs short tail surface drives (other than cost)? This will be a hunting rig running medium to small rivers and the odd lake run.

Thanks for any input.

I haven't found Kevlar to be worth a lot more $$$$$......what is the price differential?

Just over $1000 more for the Kevlar version.

I have a 7hp long tail swamprunner that I use on a Grumman sport boat. Works great. I think the long tail puts more horsepower to the water than the copperhead. There is a downside to the longtail, its harder to steer. I took it up a narrow windy creek and had a hard time making the corners. With the seven foot shaft and a 15 foot boat it was just too long.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I'd love to try a Copperhead if someone would loan me one. Until then, I love my Swamp Runner. Turning did take some getting used to, but I can turn my 15 foot Sportboat 180 in a 16 foot wide channel.

I've been looking at the sportspal canoes, they'er aluminum and much lighter than the other materials