Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging meat in the Tundra

Default Hanging meat in the Tundra

How do you guys do it? I was thinking of trying to make something out of some 2x4's and pipe. Will be taking my camper up for 10 days on the Denali highway in September and was wondering what would be the best way to keep the meat hanging. Thanks
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

If you camp near some trees u can always put a cable up between them and hang from that

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've done that. I haul it around on my trailer. two 2x4 legs on each end and two on top tapped together. 550 cord to secure the legs as an X. use 550 cord around top pole and metal S hooks. Hang bags off of that. Only used it once so far but for a moose. We strapped one leg to a tree for stability. Shaved the leg ends so it would stick in the ground easier. Also hung a tarp over it. However this was in the woods no tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZe View Post
    How do you guys do it? I was thinking of trying to make something out of some 2x4's and pipe. Will be taking my camper up for 10 days on the Denali highway in September and was wondering what would be the best way to keep the meat hanging. Thanks
    I would just cut seven spruce poles; six for making two tripods, and a seventh to run across them for a meat pole. There are lots of black spruce around that would work very well for this purpose. Make the tripods tall enough of course, and run a tarp over the whole thing to keep rain off of it. Should work just fine. Depending on your setup, you may be able to haul the poles atop your camper.

I think 2x4s would be too weak.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by RaZe View Post
    All you really need is for air to be able to circulate around the meat, and that doesn't necessarily mean actually having to "hang" it. If you are able to find enough brush, old wood, willow branches, etc... to stack up on top of the tundra and elevate the meat off the ground that works pretty good as well. As long as air can get in under the majority of the meat......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I hung mine off the ladder that lets you climb on the camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Seen guys hang it off their tailgate when it's down, camper ladders, mirrors on the door,
    The front grill. 4mer is right. Circulation. I have no trees on Kodiak but alders, so I make a brush pile and lay my meat across it so air can flow from all directions, add more brush (for loft wonder my tarp) then tarp the top of it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for all the advice. I would really like to keep it close to my camper. So depending on where we get a spot at I guess it will depend on the method I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Alder piles on the tundra is the norm, and some willows are long enough to tie into meat racks.
    If you find spruce poles around, they can help a ton.

Like BRWNBR said, ''circulation'' around the meats, and plit the Caribo' crotch to the pelvic bone, and be sure you keep the meats dry.

Make a ''piss fence'' around your camp, we have never , ever, had a Bear 'cross the fence' and bother with decades of meats and fish drying racks.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If you're serious about meat care I would go with a portable shelter, generator, and heavy-duty fan....keeps sun, bugs, and moisture off the meat, which is critical....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

One of the coolest things I was ever taught by a great Alaskan was how to bury the meat to keep it cool and preserve it. Buried that moose meat for 5 days and it was just like it had been kept in a refrigerator.

One thing that always makes me cringe when I see meat hanging at camps next to the road is the amount of dust. Nobody seems to talk about it, so perhaps it's a non-issue. But I would definitely keep dust mitigation in mind if I were going to hang an animal for a couple days. By the time I get mine back to the truck I'm getting the eff out of dodge, so I've never had to deal with it. You more experienced road guys, any thoughts on that?

Excellent point, Injun Joe.

Most of our village has fish cutting/drying camps across the river from here, because the fine silt makes horrible dust. We store dried foods behind our house and have willows along the road portions of our property.

Our village is 'making land' on an old airstrip for anyone who wants to get a house plot, and my daughter used to have a meat rack up there untill the 'road' came to her, (were a big cul de sac) and all its dust........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I made one at home and take it to moose and caribou camp every year. Just bolt 2, 2x4's together for each end to create the "legs". Bolt a cross brace (1x4, or small piece of plywood) between the "legs". Use a wing nut for the cross brace so no tools necessary. The "legs" and cross brace will all fold up with no tools. Then use a 2x4 for a beam to span the "legs". I gusseted the mid-section of the beam with plywood for a little extra strength for hanging moose. Makes some notches in the "legs" so the beam fits nicely. Each end MUST be guyed out to keep it from racking and tipping over. One time we hung 2, 50" moose from this rack and although the rack held the load, the guy out anchors pulled out 3 times and the whole shebang tipped over - ugh. The last time I went out I cut 3' long aspen poles for guy out anchors. I sharpened one end and drove those babies at least 2' into the tundra and I think that would have held any load. Anyway, it's handy to make it at home rather than screw around when you should be hunting. This is the best picture that I have. I haul the rack on the top of my meat wagon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I made one at home and take it to moose and caribou camp every year. Just bolt 2, 2x4's together for each end to create the "legs". Bolt a cross brace (1x4, or small piece of plywood) between the "legs". Use a wing nut for the cross brace so no tools necessary. The "legs" and cross brace will all fold up with no tools. Then use a 2x4 for a beam to span the "legs". I gusseted the mid-section of the beam with plywood for a little extra strength for hanging moose. Makes some notches in the "legs" so the beam fits nicely. Each end MUST be guyed out to keep it from racking and tipping over. One time we hung 2, 50" moose from this rack and although the rack held the load, the guy out anchors pulled out 3 times and the whole shebang tipped over - ugh. The last time I went out I cut 3' long aspen poles for guy out anchors. I sharpened one end and drove those babies at least 2' into the tundra and I think that would have held any load. Anyway, it's handy to make it at home rather than screw around when you should be hunting. This is the best picture that I have. I haul the rack on the top of my meat wagon.
    Thanks! That's almost exactly what I had in mind to make. I appreciate the detailed response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meat rack2.jpg I used this setup this week for our caribou up there. These "pop ups" are a bit heavy, but we had it along for the trip so we used it. We strung ropes from each corner diagonally to the opposite side, then used a shooting stick to add extra support in the center. Unless the rain is blowing sideways, it is very handy. I wouldn't trust it for large moose, but it worked great for our 'bou to allow air circulation while keeping the rain off of the game bags.

Supporting Member

Do as @jpost suggested, but omit one set of legs and use the roof of your camper to support the other end.

I made a meat rack from 2x4s that I use on the Denali. Works great and will support a moose or several caribou with no issue. I throw a tarp over it to keep off the rain and still lets the air circulate.

I've never had an issue with dust...most of hunting season is rainy/damp enough to keep the dust down in the area I typically hunt.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

For haul road bou I made a rack for the back of my truck. Screwed it together with deck screws. Took the dewalt with us. When we go to camp we disassembled the truck rack and turned it into a meat rack. 2x4's will hold bou just fine. Moose - maybe not.

More than a few caribou and a 2x6 becomes necessary for the hanging beam, I suspect a moose would require the same.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast