Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: 40 Mile thread...

  1. #1

    Default 40 Mile thread...

    Saw some reports from the Steese, anything from the Taylor?

  2. #2
    Member Frozen6bt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    14 miles N. of N. Pole
    Posts
    46

    Default

    40mi Hunt doesn't get much love here on the forum. Most hunters here are more interested in the yeti hunt in Unit 13.

    That said, I've heard about 'bou being on both the Taylor and on the Steese in the last week or so.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    980

    Default

    The main herd has been moving rapidly. Mostly NE......Steese may be the spot soon.

  4. #4
    Member fatbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Was on the Goodpaster last week and saw 20 caribou on the river starting at about river mile 90 (from the boat launch). Mostly cows and calfs, but one nice bull.

  5. #5
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    631

    Default

    As of last Saturday the herd had moved off the Taylor and was heading West back into Zone 2. A week ago they were all over the Taylor between Mt. Fairplay and Taylor Mountain...moving West across the road. I was up there with my son this last weekend and we only saw a few stragglers (shot a nice one). If they stay in Zone 2 it will be another slow hunt this year.

  6. #6
    Member GAredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    As of last Saturday the herd had moved off the Taylor and was heading West back into Zone 2. A week ago they were all over the Taylor between Mt. Fairplay and Taylor Mountain...moving West across the road. I was up there with my son this last weekend and we only saw a few stragglers (shot a nice one). If they stay in Zone 2 it will be another slow hunt this year.
    +1 on this. I was up there on the 10th and 11th with bou every were. All crossing and heading NE pretty quick.

  7. #7
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,170

    Default

    Zone 1 opens Tues. 12:01 am
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  8. #8
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    They updated the hotline. Zone 1 is going to be open for 29th and the 30th and then close, maybe they're expected a blood bath...
    They also said the heard was widely spread in 1&2

  9. #9

    Default

    Perfect... let's have a hunting season that excludes anyone with a normal job... what an asinine way of doing things!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    They updated the hotline. Zone 1 is going to be open for 29th and the 30th and then close, maybe they're expected a blood bath...
    They also said the heard was widely spread in 1&2

  10. #10
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    Perfect... let's have a hunting season that excludes anyone with a normal job... what an asinine way of doing things!
    I suspect that like last year, they are expecting plenty of bou near the road. Having the hunt mid week will likely limit the number of hunters. I'm sure they are expecting the possibility of a large take in a short time!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    Perfect... let's have a hunting season that excludes anyone with a normal job... what an asinine way of doing things!
    And I thought this kind of whining was only over on the fish/resources pages.

  12. #12
    Member Kmagers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Banks
    Posts
    432

    Default

    REALLY........!!!!!!!!!! i know it was a slaughter fest up there and no one wants to post any pictures? I didnt get a chance to make it and have to wait for the winter hunt. Lets see those bulls!
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

  13. #13
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    REALLY........!!!!!!!!!! i know it was a slaughter fest up there and no one wants to post any pictures?!
    I was up there. It wasn't a slaughter fest from what I saw. Very few bou near the road. If you had a wheeler you could get to them. Won't be the huge harvest like last year.
    Also curious no one is posting pics.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  14. #14
    Member Frozen6bt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    14 miles N. of N. Pole
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    Lets see those bulls!
    Attachment 94312

    2017 Steese Bou 2.jpg
    Here you go.....

  15. #15
    Member Ryan J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    218

    Default


    I didn't see a slaughter up there. We parked at Twelve Mile Summit and rode ATVs in. Only saw 3 caribou in the two days. I got this guy about 15 miles in after the fog lifted Tuesday.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16

    Default

    We probably saw well over 500 caribou in groups of 10-30. Most groups had at least 2 or 3 nice bulls. Had 2 nice ones down by 6:15am on the 29th. Had a great time and didn't start seeing heavy ATV traffic in our area til about 9am.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Member Ryan J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpops211 View Post
    We probably saw well over 500 caribou in groups of 10-30. Most groups had at least 2 or 3 nice bulls. Had 2 nice ones down by 6:15am on the 29th. Had a great time and didn't start seeing heavy ATV traffic in our area til about 9am.
    Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, about where where you. My buddy and I went in at 12 Mile Summit and saw very few. Camped in the parking area and saw nothing coming out of that area, we suspect the density was further North.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member AKducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    472

    Default

    I saw about 6 different friends on Facebook showing pictures of Bou they shot. Made me wish I had gone out there!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, about where where you. My buddy and I went in at 12 Mile Summit and saw very few. Camped in the parking area and saw nothing coming out of that area, we suspect the density was further North.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep sounds like you guys stayed a little too far south. We saw multiple groups next to the road north of 12 mile on the 28th. But at least you still have meat in the freezer!

  20. #20
    Member Kmagers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Banks
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Huh... The people i talked to said eagle summit was packed with people and caribou. Another guy said he wasnt willing to go farther than 12 mile because of the traffic he saw driving that way. Glad to see all of you got your bulls. Ill be up there on Dec 1st.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •