Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 Mile thread...

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/troopers-investigate-waste-issue-dozens-of-citations-in-fortymile-caribou/article_4cc1be24-8f73-11e7-b68f-6f4fb1e3ee3c.html

FAIRBANKS—Alaska Wildlife Troopers patrolling the Steese Highway this week investigated reports of numerous caribou shot and left unharvested. Wanton waste is among the most serious of hunting violations. Sgt. David Bump stated in a news release posted to the Alaska State Troopers daily dispatches website Friday that troopers investigated or took complaints about 15 cow caribou that were shot and left behind and that they also investigated three bull caribou that were shot and left or only partially salvaged.

"Several hunters assisted troopers with salvaging caribou that were shot and left and we would like to thank you for the help in getting this otherwise wasted meat to someone who was ecstatic to get it," Bump stated in the news release. "Countless hunters asked troopers if they could help with the salvage of wasted caribou, and we would like to thank those hunters as well. Countless hunters thanked troopers for patrolling the hunt. This small act is appreciated greatly by your troopers."
    "Troopers contacted hundreds of hunters — most complied with state game statutes and regulations. Unfortunately, some did not," he said.

State game managers closed the Fortymile Caribou Herd hunt early along the Steese Highway this year because of reports that large numbers of caribou were accessible from the highway, making it easy for hunters to quickly reach a 225-bull quota for the region. Hundreds of hunters traveled that way for the season opening on Tuesday.

The hunt closed Wednesday night in Zone 1, which includes the Steese Highway and Chena Hot Springs Road. The state Fortymile Caribou Hunt remains open in other areas.

Troopers also issued the following citations:
    • 21 citations for failing to properly cancel a hunt permit after shooting a caribou.
    • 17 citations for shooting cow caribou in the bull-only hunt. Of these 17 citations, 16 hunters reported their own violation.
    • 13 citations for failing to leave evidence of a caribou's sex attached to the animal.
    • Two citations for shooting from a road.

• Two citations for taking antlers from the kill site before salvaging all edible meat.
    • One citation for failure to salvage meat.
    • One citation for taking a caribou in a closed season. The season for caribou along the Steese Highway closed at 11:59 p.m. Wednesday.
    Troopers ask people who have tips about caribou waste or other hunting violations to call them at 451-5348 or the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Safeguard line at 1-800-478-3377.
    For more information about the Fortymile Caribou Herd, call the hunt hotline at 907-267-2310.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

probably a longshot, but i "misplaced" some gear during the 40mi hunt and was wondering if anybody came across anything. specifically a 40 or so liter "seal-line" black dry bag with 2 compression sacks inside it (and some other misc. crap). this would have been in the area near stack pup creek, (approx 10mi up the road towards central from eagle summit) on the north side of the creek. i walked in a couple miles and camped 200yds below the top of the ridge. hung it in a tree with a piece of orange surveyor tape at 0530hrs 8/29. headed up to higher ground, got a bull, and then began packing it out around 0900hrs, but no sign of the dry bag during my descent. went out there today, but no sign of it. no sign of any critters getting into it either (although that's not to say they didn't haul it off somewhere). no food inside for what it's worth.

anywho, just figured i'd ask.

thanks

off topic, but anyone have a river level report from up that way? Hope you found your gear!

We went on the first day of hunting. Left North Pole at 4:30 and by 9:30 we had already quartering our 2 caribou. This was my first time hunting there and it was not what I expected. We saw tons of vehicles and no caribou near the road. We went back 4-5 miles and ran into a small herd. Quick and relatively easy. Nothing huge, but there will be meat in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did well with Caribou on opening day on the Taylor. Ran in to a large group just a hour into the hunt. Allot of luck but sure was fun. Had US fish and Wildlife and BLM Rangers both come into camp at different times to check out the Caribou we hand hanging. Good times.

Heard there were lots of caribou the day before the hunt opened on the Steese. Once I got out of the fog on Tuesday I didn't see too many other hunters where I was. Also didn't see many other guys with caribou on my way out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Anyone have any updates on the herd. Hotline was last updated 1 sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    REALLY........!!!!!!!!!! i know it was a slaughter fest up there and no one wants to post any pictures? I didnt get a chance to make it and have to wait for the winter hunt. Lets see those bulls!

Took this little guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Took this little guy.
    good mass on him mammoth. lots of character. im guessing most successful hunters were at eagle or central. not as far south as 12 mile.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Yeah, I was past eagle even. Deep in about 14 miles. This guy was with two other nice ones. I had to cross a rageing creek to haul him back to the trail and down a hillside. It was good to see the Highway Patrol out there checking folks. They checked me for the penis sheath even with the double shovel rack. So it's best to follow all the rules. I did but I didn't think they would actually check. Fun foggy hunt.

I think F&G says 445 caribou were killed out there in 2 days. That means there are 445 gut piles. 445 places to hunt griz! Lots of griz in that country.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I think F&G says 445 caribou were killed out there in 2 days. That means there are 445 gut piles. 445 places to hunt griz! Lots of griz in that country.
    that's quite a few over the quota- almost double, eh? although i know that that's kinda par for the course in zone 1.

wonder if adfg would ever (or could ever) consider making it non-motorized during the fall hunt in that zone...?

Quote Originally Posted by crmcd79 View Post
    that's quite a few over the quota- almost double, eh? although i know that that's kinda par for the course in zone 1.

wonder if adfg would ever (or could ever) consider making it non-motorized during the fall hunt in that zone...?
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...f7b66a45c.html

FAIRBANKS — Hunters shot well more than twice their quota of 225 bull caribou last week during a two-day season for Fortymile caribou in the Steese Highway area. But because of sparse harvests elsewhere, the other hunt areas and the winter caribou hunt are unlikely to be affected.

More than 800 hunters traveled the Steese Highway last week where caribou from the Fortymile Herd had congregated, said Tok-area biologist Jeff Gross with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Hunters harvested at least 470 caribou bulls in Zone 1, many of them near Eagle Summit and on trails in the Mastodon Dome area, Gross said. Biologists had chosen in advance to restrict the caribou hunting season in Zone 1 to two days because satellite collar information showed large numbers of the 50,000-Fortymile Herd were accessible from the highway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12