Thread: Grundens deck boss boots vs xtratuff vs lacrosse guardsman

Supporting Member

Wink Grundens deck boss boots vs xtratuff vs lacrosse guardsman

I wore out my third pair of china tuff's recently and was going to get another pair of rubber boots when I saw grundens new boots. I like grundens hercules raingear so I decided to give them a go. First impression were:
    -Comfortable and cushiony on flat ground
    -Decent looking sole for traction
    -Slighly stiffer material than xtratuff's and likely more durable
    -They run small and don't have half sizes
    -They have a high heel and bring your foot further off the ground makibg them more "tippy"

I wore them yesterday to a beach with my family and then on a hike in some dense woods looking for blacktail sign.

My impressions so far are.....they suck for hiking in. Xtratuffs are by no means great hiking boots but many people, at least in southeast, use them everywhere including alpine. The grundens boots roll on uneaven terrain and I even opted for the tighter size 10 over the roomier 11's. They also are terrible going straight down a steep due to hard plastic in the toe area that your foot jambs against.
    I'm going to take them out in the skiff later today so we will see how they do in the boat and on the docks (what they were designed for).
    At this point I like the lacrosse gaurdsman the most out of these three as an all around fishing/hunting/boating rubber boot. They are very similar to xtratuffs but are slightly stiffer on the upper section. They outlasted china tuffs and got leaks after over a year because I made the mistake of tying rebar in them and stepped on tie wire ends multiple times. Otherwise they were excellent, maybe slightly less grippy than toughs....but tougher. I have a hard time getting over a year out of current tuffs before the outsole begins to delaminate and they stars developing various leaks.
    I'll post more about the grundens after I have used them more, at this point I wouldn't recommend buying them with intentions of doing any real hiking in them. Curious to hear other opinions.

Thanks for the report. I'll likely need to replace my xtratuffs next year, and have been looking at the Grundens boot as a possibility. Haven't tried them yet, so appreciate the feedback.

My partner picked up a pair of the Grundens and says that they're extremely grippy and excellent boat boats. I've also trashed a pair of xtratuffs and am looking at replacements. I hadn't considered the Lacrosse before and will take a look.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Try a pair of Muck boots.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Try a pair of Muck boots.
    Bk
    Cant stand any of the neoprene boots (feet get sweaty enough). The soles don't look as good for wet surfaces either on the muck/bogs.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    My partner picked up a pair of the Grundens and says that they're extremely grippy and excellent boat boats. I've also trashed a pair of xtratuffs and am looking at replacements. I hadn't considered the Lacrosse before and will take a look.
    After wearing them in the skiff and around in general all day they defenitly are very grippy and well cushioned. I did some work today as well where I was kneeling on the ground quite a bit, which has always been rough on xtratuff toes. I would say that the grundens have a much better protected outsole area. They seem pretty good for general boat use!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the report. I'll likely need to replace my xtratuffs next year, and have been looking at the Grundens boot as a possibility. Haven't tried them yet, so appreciate the feedback.
    Roger that, I think grundens achieved what they had inteded. They seem like a great deck work boot. If i were spending 8-12 hrs a day on a boat deck or dock I would pick the grundens hands down. The locrosse's weakest point is the sole they are a little less grippy than the grundens/extraff and rocks/stick pressure really transmits through the sole to your foot. The grundens protect the soles of your feet the most by far, just tippy on slopes or uneven terrain. At this point the one area I would takee the chinatuffs over the others is for roofing.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Welcome! Grudens did well at making a good deck work boot. If I were working on a boat deck or a dock i would choose them hands down. They really protect your soles, which is the lacrosse gaurdsmans weakest aspect (xtatuffs aren't great there either). The grundens seem as grippy as xtratuffs and the lacrosse boots are less than the others but still reasonably good. Grundens are made in the states too! If I were still doing a reasonable amount of roofing work still I'd opt for for the tuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Cant stand any of the neoprene boots (feet get sweaty enough). The soles don't look as good for wet surfaces either on the muck/bogs.
    They are warm but come in different insulation values. Grip like crazy though, even wet stuff like fall/winter in pws terrain.
    Regardless, lots of options out there.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

After a season in Bristol Bay with grundens boots and 10 seasons with xtra tuffs, i would rather go with the xtra tuffs. The grip is better on xtra tuffs and they are more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    They are warm but come in different insulation values. Grip like crazy though, even wet stuff like fall/winter in pws terrain.
    Regardless, lots of options out there.
    Bk
    I will wear muck boots in the rain. I will wear muck boots despite the pain (sidehill) i will wear mucks in the sun, even if i have to run. Ive worn em everywhere, from pws perry island sidehilling to kodiak in dumpy wet weather and north in hot weather climbing. Yes i change my socks when they begin to irritate. But they are good boots. I have a steel toed arctic chore model for work, but wear em hunting and fishing too!

Release Lake Trout

I read somewhere that Xtratuf is coming out with a new boot, think it was called Legacy 2.0 or something like that. Supposed to have bigger calves and I think I would like that.
    Wonder what the quality will be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Roger that, I think grundens achieved what they had inteded. They seem like a great deck work boot. If i were spending 8-12 hrs a day on a boat deck or dock I would pick the grundens hands down.
    EXCEPT the part where they disintegrate if exposed to fuel or any other petroleum product...

With that being said, I've been told by "people in the know" that they will be addressing that issue with there new run (due out in January or February I think).

Other issue that is of concern to me is the sharp heel...my chinatuffs and my old xtratuffs have a low, slightly slanted heel while the Grundens have a sharper and slightly taller heel making it seem like a bit higher center of gravity and, of more concern to me, the ability to catch on everything...like net webbing.

My wife tried them and liked them, but still opted for the hippietuffs!

Just one polak's opinion!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    EXCEPT the part where they disintegrate if exposed to fuel or any other petroleum product...

With that being said, I've been told by "people in the know" that they will be addressing that issue with there new run (due out in January or February I think).

Other issue that is of concern to me is the sharp heel...my chinatuffs and my old xtratuffs have a low, slightly slanted heel while the Grundens have a sharper and slightly taller heel making it seem like a bit higher center of gravity and, of more concern to me, the ability to catch on everything...like net webbing.

My wife tried them and liked them, but still opted for the hippietuffs!

Just one polak's opinion!
    Oh dang, if they disinegrate with fuel exposure mine wont last long. Either way I'll be switching to something else. The high heels drive me nuts.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I will wear muck boots in the rain. I will wear muck boots despite the pain (sidehill) i will wear mucks in the sun, even if i have to run. Ive worn em everywhere, from pws perry island sidehilling to kodiak in dumpy wet weather and north in hot weather climbing. Yes i change my socks when they begin to irritate. But they are good boots. I have a steel toed arctic chore model for work, but wear em hunting and fishing too!
    I've come across multiple people that swear by the thick neoprene boots but I didn't care for them.

Thought I might post here to see if anyone has info on the Alaska Tuff series of boots. I know Donaldson's and Walmart have both sold the Alaska Tuff knee boots (they look like a crossbreed between Mucks and Xtratufs). After years of saying "if only they made hip boots with Xtratuf soles" I found a pair of Alaska Tuff hip boots at (I think) Donaldson's. They are thigh highs really, but pretty much the best boots I've ever had. All of the deck traction that Tuffies have without wet feet every time I launch. Wore em out and can't find more, or any info about them online. Rubber feet, Xtratuff soles, and thigh high neoprene. I have not checked Donaldson's this year but when I looked last fall they told me they were not selling them any more. Would love to find another pair. Or two.

last time i saw them (knee boots) for sell was in nome about seven years ago. tried to get an other pair a few years back and the store
    was out. great boots for summer/fall-skiff/beach and tundra use. not a commercial use type boot. made in china. trying to goggle any
    info on them and its like they never existed - weird.
    pm me if you ever run into a source please